Sign in to follow this  
jporter313

Cinema 4D progressive shape animation with Mograph

Ok, so still a relative noob at Cinema, and I'm trying to wrap my head around a few things in Mograph. Seems like this would be a simple thing to do, but I'm just having a little trouble figuring it out.

I have a disc, i parented a polyFX object to it to split it into it's component polygons, now I want to animate them so each polygon progressively scales up radially around the disc over time. My first attempt was to add a step effector, but I can't get them all to go from scaled to zero to scaled to 1 smoothly around the disc when I animate it.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Won't work. polygons transform around their center and you can't influence that. Someone posted a workaround involving a TP setup linked to MoGraph nodes a while ago, but it was quite convoluted. Anyway, in your case you'll probably get much quicker results using cloned arc segments in a normal cloner. That way you can at least control the pivot...

Mylenium

Won't work. polygons transform around their center and you can't influence that. Someone posted a workaround involving a TP setup linked to MoGraph nodes a while ago, but it was quite convoluted. Anyway, in your case you'll probably get much quicker results using cloned arc segments in a normal cloner. That way you can at least control the pivot...

Mylenium

Thanks Mylenium, but you sort of answered the question I hadn't asked yet, I was having problems with centerpoint (are you listening Maxon, it'd be very nice if polyfx had an option to place the pivot of each poly at the center of the original source object rather than the center of that poly).

The problem I'm asking about, I'm guessing is much more basic. I can't figure out how to used mograph to animate the scale of these in sequence around the circle.

Try using the Step effector with a sphere / disk falloff, and try to animate the slice option. (that way you can simulate going around the circle). Hope this helps!

Ahh, yes, ok, I'll try that.

Jesus, I'm so lost here.

Ok, so I tried doing that and it worked, but the segments would pop in, so I figured I just need to add a delay effector set to blend, great, it worked, no problem.

Now to solve the problem mentioned earlier, that they weren't scaling from the center of the circle, but from the center of each individual polygon. I take Myleniums advice and add a small segment of a disc to a radial cloner object so it's a bunch of small slices making up the circle in the cloner. I then add the same effectors to it, and voila', the cloner won't recognize the step effector's falloff in that context.

I can't figure out why it wouldn't do this, so I experiment a lot with it, to no avail, I can't get the cloner to respect the spherical falloff, no matter what i do. I can get the cloner to recognize the step effector's parameters, but no spherical falloff.

So I decide to approach this from a different angle, What I really want is to have the movement sequenced in order of each objects index within the cloner, that way it isn't dependent on finding the right shape of falloff, and I can have any group of things in any arrangement do something in sequence no matter how they're arranged in space.

My initial approach is to keyframe the animation scaling from 0 to 1 on the cloner source object (circle slice), then turn off fix clone in the cloner, and add a step effector with all transform attributes turned off and time offset turned up. Wow, this works, but now I want to stack a delay on it to make the animation jiggle a little bit, and i can't because the animation is keyframed rather than being generated by mograph, but as with many things today, I can't seem to figure out how to get mograph to do this motion and then offset it, any ideas?

It seems weird that this is so difficult, I was always under the impression that this was what mograph was really good at, but I can't seem to ever get this time offset thing to work right and it's something I want to do pretty frequently, it would open up a lot of possibilities with this program for me to figure this out.

make a triangle and put it in your radial cloner. but scale up the triangle that the edges overlap. animate each one scaling down and popping out with a step and delay effector. then export the alpha and do the rest in after effects with mattes so that a large circle breaks into an array of triangles. don't forget about the power of after effects. c4d for cloners and step effectors, then ae for matte transitions.

i went on to youtube and snagged the 720p version of the mp4 and studied it frame by frame in quicktime. it does appear to have some animated masking done in after effects.

Edited by thekinginyellow