Sign in to follow this  
laughingcolors

personal work

For me it's the chance to do something different from the day job, try out new ideas there isn't a budget or schedule for, etc.

The motivation part is a different story…I tend to sit on personal projects too long and it's hard to come home and work on them, sit in front of a computer, etc. Though, I just got a new book called Art & Fear that has thoughts on what motivates one to do art for themselves and the fears surrounding it. It's from a more psychological approach to putting yourself into your work, but it does address motivations (as far as I've read, which isn't very far).

i was in a rut for a few months about a year ago and decided to do a monthly pdf called "glass rhino" where i force myself to create something based on a theme. i also encourage others to submit work also and increase the size of the publication.

(hint hint)

www.glassrhino.com

www.monolithcreative.com

I produce personal work because i want to. To be honest though, havent really produced anything personal in nearly a year. Really want to change that next year. So trying to get into the mind set already. I also have a feeling i need to reduce my drinking habbits to get more personal work done :D

What's the topic for the next glass rhino? Maybe i'll whip something up?

ive always struggled with this and used to constantly come up with these huge, epic ideas for personal projects. id start them all gung-ho, but inevetiably real work would get in the way, and they'd just fall by the wayside and id be even more frustrated than when i started.

however, last year i started producing a chicago blackhawks fan show with some friends. its totally low-budget and often pretty janky, but ive been surprised at the graphics that have come out of it. none of it will end up on my reel but its been a lot of fun and gives me an excuse to try out some new things without any pressure at all. http://hawktawktv.blogspot.com

yeah, ive started some epic projects that never got finished. but its fun to come back to them once a year and see just how bad you where back then.

I guess if you really want to finish stuff, you got to treat it like a job. set a deadline, then plan the shit out of it. And do it.

I do them as exercises and if they end up on my reel than that's just an added bonus. I have several projects (too many) that I've spent a month of free time after work and weekends on that I've killed before render. The hard part is deleting them to make room for more bad ideas :)