Sign in to follow this  
pkienetz

Curved Splines connecting cities on globe

Hi,

I'm working in c4d and am trying to find a easy system for having connecting curved splines connect various cities positioned on a globe. All the cities are in place (specific cities, not random imaginary ones) as lights positioned around the surface of the globe.

I'm trying to find an easy way to have splines immediately connected between all the cities, as well with a curve, similar to those diagrams showing flights going to different cities. I would then use these splines with spline wrap or sweep nurds to create the trajectory paths from city to city.

Right now I'm doing it the tedious way, putting two cities in the tracer, converting the connected trace to a spline, modifying a curve for each path and it's taking a long time.

http://www.revostock.com/After-Effects-Project/364322/Space-and-Earth-Media-Panels-3.htm

Thanks in advance.

Peter

im no c4d wizz, so this might not work for you, but i was just playing around and tried a test of a tracer (set to cubic spline type), sweep nurbs and a spherify deformer.

it did create some wonky results and cut through the globe in places, but found a workaround in adding some extra spheres to the tracer. if you set them to not be visible in the render they function almost like an extra point of control in the spline.

hope that makes sense.

Edited by krpdesign

Place Null Objects at every city and then connect the two points you want using a tracer then add another null in the middle , raise it a bit on the Y and use a B-Spline with uniform or adaptive intermediate points , you can then Duplicate this tracer and use it over and over again ... It might be over within half an hour or so depending on how many cities you have ... You might also set an Xpresso for that ..