Sign in to follow this  
Beaver

Amsterdam

I'm heading over to Amsterdam this summer, going to be there 3 days, then heading over to a small town in northern Germany for a wedding. Food / Bar / Coffee Shop / Museum Suggestions? I will be there at the end of May. I hear the grey area is supposed to be nice.

No love huh? Come on people now.

I have a couple other questions, thinking of taking the train from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf, then picking up a car in Germany. It it necessary to book a train in advance? I see it runs 7 times a day. If I didn't have to book it would be nice to be more flexible. Also, for the car rental in Germany, are most rentals going to be ok to drive around the autobahn, or should I shell out for a premium vehichle. I plan on spending some time in the left lane.

Amsterdam itself is tourist-central. Walk around the city center, visit a concert at paradiso or melkweg and check out the redlight district. You might want to spend a day visiting another city. Utrecht has smallcity charm, The Hague is where the royal family lives, Kinderdijk is fun to visit for tourists with all the windmills. Pick up a Lonely Planet for Amsterdam and it will be filled with stuff to do.

You wont need to book the railway ticket in advance - just go to the station buy a ticket and hop on the train. (Though in most cases it's cheaper if you buy the ticket online a few weeks before) Also on weekends it might be a good idea to make a seat reservation unless you don't wanna spend the trip standing.

You wont need a special car for the autobahn either, most small cars are faster than you'll expect - but always take a good look in the rearview mirror before changing lanes (by the way: overtaking on the left is mandatory in germany and the rest of europe - except UK of cause)