Sign in to follow this  
PauloBlob

10 years on the road. Now what?

Reading the comments here made me think that there's no right or wrong on this case just me doing something that fullfills me as a person.

We all have to make a living, but most of us here are lucky enough to have the brains, talent and luck to be able to choose what we do for a living. Embrace that and be thankful!

Teaching is fantastic, especially if you enjoy it. It's insane to me that teaching is looked down upon by anyone -- although most likely it's by those who have never taught. Those who can't do, teach? Give me a break. Teaching is just as viable a use of your animation/design/art/technology skills as anything else. Why is making an expensive commercial, movie title sequence or network ID any more legitimate?

In the end you've got to ignore outside forces trying to direct your life and find out what works for you with the skills you have and what is the most fulfilling use of those skills.

Also: be confident of your skills. There's always someone better, but that shouldn't be a threat. If someone out there is willing to pay you - whether to animate for a commercial or teach them how to animate - it means your skills have value. It means you're GOOD.

Roll with it buddy - life is crazy but we're all lucky to be able to use the creative parts of our brains to make dough. Most people in the world would trade spots with us any day.

If someone out there is willing to pay you - whether to animate for a commercial or teach them how to animate - it means your skills have value. It means you're GOOD.

If only this was true... so many teachers are teaching as a result of being friends of someone... it is depressing.

Once again, just to clarify for those who seemed to miss it. I love teaching. Always have always will. But its not something that i would want to make my main source of revenue. It is a way to give back, it is a way to make the world a better place.

Ofcourse i know there are teachers that are good at what they do, but the vast majority are not. If you do not agree with this, you have been VERY lucky with your educational experience.

@tvp: i dun kare how i spal stuph, as lawng as it gets the points akross wh'ere artists, we karie a mesage, vesel is not importants.

If only this was true... so many teachers are teaching as a result of being friends of someone... it is depressing.

There's some truth to this statement as well. Especially at certain over priced private art schools where there is no real oversight in the hiring process and no real oversight of how department heads run their departments.

It isn't always the case though.

Aside from teaching, there are a lot of fields where people get hired as a result of being friends with someone, including actively working as a designer and / or animator in motion graphics.

@tvp: i dun kare how i spal stuph, as lawng as it gets the points akross wh'ere artists, we karie a mesage, vesel is not importants.

I disagree with what you're saying here in the last part of the line above, but whatever.

Edited by tvp

We all have to make a living, but most of us here are lucky enough to have the brains, talent and luck to be able to choose what we do for a living. Embrace that and be thankful!

Teaching is fantastic, especially if you enjoy it. It's insane to me that teaching is looked down upon by anyone -- although most likely it's by those who have never taught. Those who can't do, teach? Give me a break. Teaching is just as viable a use of your animation/design/art/technology skills as anything else. Why is making an expensive commercial, movie title sequence or network ID any more legitimate?

In the end you've got to ignore outside forces trying to direct your life and find out what works for you with the skills you have and what is the most fulfilling use of those skills.

Also: be confident of your skills. There's always someone better, but that shouldn't be a threat. If someone out there is willing to pay you - whether to animate for a commercial or teach them how to animate - it means your skills have value. It means you're GOOD.

Roll with it buddy - life is crazy but we're all lucky to be able to use the creative parts of our brains to make dough. Most people in the world would trade spots with us any day.

Well said.

There's some truth to this statement as well. Especially at certain over priced private art schools where there is no real oversight in the hiring process and no real oversight of how department heads run their departments.

It isn't always the case though.

Aside from teaching, there are a lot of fields where people get hired as a result of being friends with someone, including actively working as a designer and / or animator in motion graphics.

Thanks for repeating what i said (obviously its not always the case, but it ussually is). The difference on the friends hiring friends thing is that when they are animators/ designers, only the client suffers, and then doesnt come back to the company and eventually the company should die ( if you believe in all that free market mumbo jumbo). But in educational insitutions the people that suffer from this have no real way to retaliate. Because they don't know they are being screwed until its too late.

You have no idea how many graduates email me their reels lookig for work, and their work is amazingly terrible. I mean if the teacher had even the minimal of skills they would be able to point out such basic flaws. Or fail the students. but clearly they don't. It's like the don't teach them basic observation skills.

Hm... maybe that should be my next tutorial... observation skills...

The problem is i need to make a living and I'm really tired of advertising.

8 years deep and I have come to absolutely loathe advertising.

I'm convinced something beautiful inside of you would have to die for you to want to continue working in advertising after 10 years. Your feelings may be an indication that you are very likely on the right path.

-m

Once again, just to clarify for those who seemed to miss it. I love teaching. Always have always will. But its not something that i would want to make my main source of revenue. It is a way to give back, it is a way to make the world a better place.

Ofcourse i know there are teachers that are good at what they do, but the vast majority are not. If you do not agree with this, you have been VERY lucky with your educational experience.

I guess what I'm curious about is: if you love teaching, and you're good at it, and you feel most teachers aren't good at it -- leading to students with poor skills -- why not make it your main source of revenue? That seems like it would be a very fulfilling use of your talents -- surely far more than making advertisements for large corporations? Is it just that the pay for teaching is not lucrative enough?

Edited by Fred Camino

I like the work that I do. I enjoy solving problems, i enjoy learning new stuff. I love tight deadlines, when someone comes to you and goes: "um... we have 3 days to do this.. can you do it?" And then you pull it off. You don't get that with teaching.

I don't really make the advertisements. I problem solve. Which is what i love doing. And im good at it, probably much better than i am at teaching.

As far as teaching goes, if it's an institution, it'll push its own beliefs and crap on me. Which i don't want to deal with.

They also all want me to have a degree ( i was looking into this as side revenue at some point). They literally asked me "well how do we know if you actually know this stuff, if you don't have a degree?" . I did not respond to that email...

And they don't like my age. Apparently 23 ( well then it was 21/22) is too young to be a qualified teacher...

And finally. My current life style is pretty great. I get to work from anywhere i want, Estonia, Budapest, USA, Australia, Caribbean islands, rio , as long as i can afford the rent im sweet. Why would i want to trade that in for something where i have to punch in a clock and turn up to work in the same place everyday?

( i do have a job waiting for me in NYC, which is full-time, visa processing and stuff, but im doing that coz i really want a greencard, (love NYC and want to be able to stay there for prolonged periods of time) And its at a really cool agency, with really cool people, and hopefully i can learn a bunch of shit from them).

This way i get to do the work i love doing and i get to teach people how and when i want to. And they get taught for free. to me this seems like win-win-win.

so yeah, that short rant is why i dont teach for my main source of revenue :D

Edited by vozzz

8 years deep and I have come to absolutely loathe advertising.

I'm convinced something beautiful inside of you would have to die for you to want to continue working in advertising after 10 years. Your feelings may be an indication that you are very likely on the right path.

-m

I'm impressed - it's only taken me 3 years to reach that point...

mograph.net is back baby!

there is some good stuff here, partly just the issue of burnout because making cool anything, especially anything as time consuming as polished animations, takes buying into the idea that somehow everything matters, all the details all the little voices in your head saying tweak this, improve this.

i wonder if the same has happened with say commercial illustrators in the 70s and 80s - where their career life spans of really being balls deep working on "big" projects gets cut short by realizing that a lot of what we care so much about making is forgettable bullshit. i look in my downloaded reels folder and even the BNS and Buck work from say 2003-4 is starting to show an age to it i couldnt have imagine when i first drooled over it, and almost no one cares about work from the 80s that took equally long nights and strained relationships with girlfriends and spouses

ive thought about teaching also. in a way I hope that there is a way to keep some film and game production in towns i would like to live in because, i kind of like those longer timelines and workflows more than agency work in terms of work/life, and because they are kind of known chunks of time, you can then teach, surf, travel in the other months when youre not busy if you have money under control and/or dont have 4 kids.

right now i feel a lot more passion for making music than playing around in 3D, even though some cortexes in my brain still feel the need to stay strong in that area.

the capper is we got spoiled by some good wages selling shit for the devil, so now thats what we (maybe just me) think we should be getting for breaking a sweat

has commercial art almost always been a young mans game? do i need to think about living in a surf town and just run a coffee stand in order to have a sane late 40's through retirement?

the capper is we got spoiled by some good wages selling shit for the devil, so now thats what we (maybe just me) think we should be getting for breaking a sweat

Love that line

:wub:

Im just gonna accept that this is negative.

Vozz, u are a moron. Truly u don't get it.

The only reason i mention my degree is that sometimes an mfa is required to pursue a full professor position at a university. Not always but sometimes.

Also a position like that is an academic pursuit.

You seem to be obsessed with retards on blogs selling webcams of themselves. The fact that you exclude any other possibility in the realm of teaching proves you are a naive internet baby with a scope as wide as a needle.

I like being insulted by people with no internet reputation.

But they have an MFA so i guess their opinion is important =)

It's ok I forgive you.

edit: on the topic of baby scopes: "growing old is mandatory, growing up is voluntary"

Edited by vozzz

mograph.net is back baby!

It never gets old. You know facebook and other social networks can

has commercial art almost always been a young mans game? do i need to think about living in a surf town and just run a coffee stand in order to have a sane late 40's through retirement?

I ask myself the same questions. And i'm trying not to become a negative person, specially if I'm trying to teach someone who dreams about making an animation. But the idea to reach 40's qith some security is something to worry about. But I also belive life takes care of us as long as we don't screw things. What I mean is, we are hardworkers, all of us. And we will probably find something to do on our 40's.

You know mintyfresh our realm is really full of traps and oportunities. Yesterday I was talking to a long time friend who I lost contact for the past years. He was running a web studio back in 1996 then he moved to politics( a Senator adivser) and today he is working with Recruitment for big companies. We had a loooooooooong conversation about career and life. He is 34, has a kid and is going through the same dilema as us. It was confortable to hear someone who is trully honest about his mistakes and perspectives. It was an interesting conversation that I had to share with you so you know we are on the same boat. :)

After 15 years, I realized that it was not going to get any better,

I was sick of walking around in a state of nervous exhaustion. Five years

ago, I decided to quit. It has taken that long to make a full break.

All I can say is thank God I did.

The money is piss poor in motion graphics. We make below blue collar

workers, like plumbers and electricians.

You are a slave to a computer at work, and on week-ends you stay

glued to the computer keep up with the field. I guess some people find

that having a fulfilling life. They are welcome to it.

For gifted young people, motion graphics is a black hole.

Edited by tomcat

After 15 years, I realized that it was not going to get any better,

I was sick of walking around in a state of nervous exhaustion. Five years

ago, I decided to quit. It has taken that long to make a full break.

All I can say is thank God I did.

The money is piss poor in motion graphics. We make below blue collar

workers, like plumbers and electricians.

You are a slave to a computer at work, and on week-ends you stay

glued to the computer keep up with the field. I guess some people find

that having a fulfilling life. They are welcome to it.

For gifted young people, motion graphics is a black hole.

This is something that's really going to depend on your job, as well as how good you are at keeping home life separate from work life. Any job can be soul-sucking and life-consuming, and if you're finding yourself in that position it's time to at the very least switch studios, if not switch industries. On the whole, motion design is much more rewarding than, say, most VFX jobs (in terms of time versus results versus pay, which is generally so dismal that only the largest studios even survive more than a few years). But that's not really saying a lot.

Personally, I've found motion design to be the most rewarding work I've ever done. The pay is decent, the hours are reasonable (generally 40 hour weeks, which two-week crunches around twice a year -- which I actually enjoy quite a bit, because of how good the time versus results ratio is in motion design), and I have no trouble leaving it behind on weekends (unless I don't want to). A huge part of this, though, is that I don't work in advertising. I imagine if all the motion design I was doing was for ads, my soul would die in a hurry. I also don't freelance -- my day job is stable enough that I haven't even considered it in years.

So, no, I wouldn't say motion graphics are a black hole for gifted young people. Maybe if you're stuck in a shitty studio or dealing with horrible clients, but that's hardly representative of the whole industry.

I've been considering a long-term trip to India. Someplace where I can remove money from the equation of life to see where I go from there. I made a decision about 5 months ago to cut back on motion and graphic design considerably, move to europe, and dabble in conceptual art crap. I miss launching After Effects like I miss herpes, but I want to push myself further away from taking the occasional gig doing boards or animation to pay rent. Let's all buy an island and outlaw the term "mograph."

Aaron, I notice you're in Canada, which may have something to do with your treatment and perspective. I envy you for having landed a stable, reasonable workplace. They are very hard to come by in Gotham. My very last job was actually decent, until the inevitable management change, and our sweetheart of a boss was axed.

Don't get too comfortable. You need to keep those skills up because if that job that seems like it's going to last forever, ends, you'll never catch up with the freelancers. This happens a lot here with TV station designers.

Oh Yeah, and I've worked the full spectrum of the industry, from film studios to TV networks to post houses to small boutiques.

Edited by tomcat