Sign in to follow this  
simonbronson

C4d r13 stereo cam compositing project export to AE

I'm having trouble exporting out the stereo camera from c4d r13 to after effects via the composing project file (aec) export. I'm selecting stereoscopic in render settings and have experimented with the different modes.

In after effects I only get a camera in the Left eye comp while the right eye comp lacks any cameras and nulls.

Anyone had this experience or solution?

thanks in advance,

simon

Got this from Maxon today incase you were wondering:

Hello Simon Bronson,

this is a limitation of the AfterEffects export possibility. Only one of the stereoscopic

cameras will be exported into AfterEffects through the aec file. You will have to add

the second camera manually.

Kind regards,

Sandro Wojcik

Technical Support

....a follow up response when asked as to when this will be fixed:

Hello Simon Bronson,

unfortunately this is no bug, that can be fixed but a limitation what means it will

not work without a complete rewrite. This means it will take a long time until it

will work or it won't work anytime.

Kind regards,

Sandro Wojcik

Technical Support

I think that the camera exported via aec is the middle of the stereoscopic camera.

Unless Maxon add this ability in an update to c4d perhaps some clever person may be able to write some xpresso to calculate new cameras from the stereoscopic data such as eye separation, convergence etc inorder to create new cameras.

Any takers??

Hey Simon - that is a shame and kind of relegates the 3D features in Cinema to 'toy' status - fun to play with, not useful for work.

Building the second camera in AE may be possible, but if Cinema generates the cameras using the x-offset function then it'll be problematic, these cameras have no direct equivalent inside AE. Rendering parallel rather than converged would make this more straightforward

SV Stereo Rig does a fine job guiding you through the messy maze of stereo, and his level of support is excellent. He's mentioned finding numerous bugs with the Cinema stereo features.

This way you get both cams in AE for building the comps.

Edited by ChrisC

I just ran into the same issue. It's an easy fix, provided you use ON AXIS placement. By adding left and right child cameras to your stereoscopic camera, and then manually (or xpresso) linking your Eye Separation *-0.5 to your left cam, and *0.5 to your right cam. Then add another null child to your Stereoscopic Cam, set its X=0 and Y=0 and Z=Zero Parallax. Target your Left and Right Cameras to that and you're good to go.

Drag your c4d file into after effects and you'll have your Left and Right Camera ready for use.