Sign in to follow this  
Beaver

Distributing Videos on Thumb Drive

I wanted to ping you all on this. I've got a client that is going to distribute a video on a thumb drive, so the video file will live on the thumb drive and the user will play the file straight off of it.

My thought it to use an .mp4 file, but I'm not sure if there is a more standard way to do this. The other option I'm thinking is to do separate .mov and .wmv files.

Thoughts anyone?

MP4 is the way to go. Both Windows and Mac support it natively.

The other option is to package it in a Flash player with Windows and Mac executables. Years ago, this is what I needed to do with gov't projects to make sure it ran on everything. That was before MP4s became so standard, though.

i'm assuming from the option of the 2 formats (.mov, .wmv) that the client doesn't know what kind of machine this thumbdrive would be plugged into.

I'd go with the .mp4 playable by both and utilizing only a single file.

Do you have any more specific info about where these thumb drives are going?

*beat me to it.

Edited by oeuf

It's going to be distributed to all different people with machines across the board, mac, pc, old, new. One thing I'm worried about is older versions of windows media player, I don't think they support mp4 natively...

I wanted to ping you all on this. I've got a client that is going to distribute a video on a thumb drive, so the video file will live on the thumb drive and the user will play the file straight off of it.

My thought it to use an .mp4 file, but I'm not sure if there is a more standard way to do this. The other option I'm thinking is to do separate .mov and .wmv files.

Thoughts anyone?

No matter what file you come up with, write an autorun script with it so it will play as soon as they plug in the drive. No need to make them search around for it.

I did this once for a client and I built a little html page that they launched right off the drive. It showed off the reel and had links to the website, email addresses and phone numbers. Plus, it allows you to control the presentation of the reel which is always nice.

Do you want this to autoplay or just be playable? As vozz observed, both Windows and OS X have some caveats for autoplaying certain file types nowadays due to security considerations.

MP4 with VLC Portable on the thumb drive for Windows versions prior to 7? (not sure if Vista had H.264 support for WMP like 7 does, since I skipped it and went directly to 7)

OS X/QuickTime should just handle pretty much everything.