Sign in to follow this  
sholto crow

Micro-budget promo for Pepe Deluxé

Hi all,

here's a promo I just completed work on for Finnish outfit Pepe Deluxé on Catskills, we shot it on greenscreen in my flat apart from the café intro/outro on location (heavily graded to try and mask the really noticeable absence of proper lighting...) Took a long time to get all the compositing done, you'll definitely spot one or two little badly tracked lights but apart from that I'm proud of it! This won't be online for long, I just wanted to get some community feedback.

I hope you enjoy it!

Sholto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGbAVGAhWog

Edited by sholto crow

that's kinda cool. i like the last 60 seconds of the whole video the best with the bleeding particle growth from the eyes/goggles. everything before that just kinda drags for me and doesn't quite mesh with the feel of the music. like it was unrelated. the music kind of reminds me of komeda and pizzacato five so maybe i was envisioning some sort of overly cute dance choreography and bright colorful flowers and explosions or something. idk. maybe i don't know what i'm talking about.

i assume the guys are in a coffee shop but we don't actually see them drink the coffee that would make them enter into this caffeine induced dream race and i think that's kind of a shame. think about 'requiem for a dream' when they shoot up and we see the effects taking over their body with the pupils dilating and blood flowing. something like that would have helped transition the guys from the coffee bar into their hallucination instead of us just seeing them sitting at an empty table. then maybe at the end of the video the table/counter could be filled with empty mugs and cups and coffee dripping all over the table with the guys either passed out, sick and puking or running around wildly.

thanks! but remember, we need to see them receive and drink their first coffee at the beginning in order to introduce the hallucination and set up the joke at the end. actually, the first time i watched it i thought they might be in a coffee shop with the name on the menu being something about "latte" but never actually seeing a single cup'o'joe in the whole thing i wasn't sure what was going on. like, is just touching the menus enough to get you high? think about the video as if it were a three panel comic strip. 1.begin/setup; 2.action; 3.resolve/payoff/punchline.

if you have not seen the film 'requiem for a dream' then at least see this trailer to see what i'm talking about regarding the initial drinking of the coffee effects with fast cuts of close up shot of the blood flow and pupil dialation:

It's a great film! Good to revisit, I love those sequences. The idea really is that they're meeting in the morning for hangover cure/brunch, one is fit as a fiddle, the next a bit worse for wear, the third destroyed from the night before. They order 3 'Go Supersonic' meals off the menu to recharge themselves and sort of get more than they bargained for. Then they race, break down, get hijacked, pick up a girl, crash, die, come back to life, go into hyperspace and end up back in the café with their minds blown. It's hard to get all that fitting into the 30 seconds or so before the first chorus, maybe we didn't manage it that clearly. Your ending suggestion would still work a treat! The name of the café on the menus is 'Catch Ya Latte' which you can probably get away with a bit more with an English accent than an American one but it's a pretty bad pun either way...