Sign in to follow this  
madmonk

Hey I'm new!

Hi folks!

It's a pleasure to be here! I just wanna say hi...I've been lurking the forum since few years now and I've finally registered. I'll try to be as usefull as you've been (and are) to me!

A brief introduction: I'm a 31 years old dude from Italy (near Rome), I've been doing motion graphics since 3 years now and I always feel like a total noob (which I am), there's so much to learn out there, but this is what I mostly like of this job I guess.

I have a degree as a movie and tv director (I'm traslating here dunno if it makes sens) and I did some shorts in the past.

In the last 3 years I've been working with this tv post production studio in Rome as a freelance and I did a little bit of anything that was needed: motion graphics, removals, color correction...). I started for a lucky coincidence. I just threw myself into it (as I've always been a computer geek) and I found out I was good enough to get paid and also that I love motion graphics and working with moving images in general.

My long term goal is to become a really good professional motion designer. My short term goal is to move out of this country asap!

Any suggestions are much appreciated! :D

I believe I've put my showreel's link in the signature below, if I did everything right. So if you wanna check it and give me a feedback I'd be greatful.

I'll see you around!

Have a good sat night. I'm out for a beer now!

cheers

...ok I'll link it here, it's much easyer: http://vimeo.com/23058219

Best of luck to you too then, zummbie! Where would you like to move?

I tried to "move" to San Francisco last year, since I have some friends over there and I love the city, but it turned out harder than I thought. I did a little post job (a cc) thanks to craigslist; I send my reel and presentation letter to every single studio in SF and I even did a job interview. The guy has been really nice to me, and he totally understood my position but I see that is quite a commitment for a company to hire a non american citizen, even thought is not quite impossible. But then my time was over and I had to fly back home in Italy. Bummer. Anyway my impression was that not much is gong on in SF regarding motion graphics recently. Also I'm not a guru at all, yet...go figure..

I'm gonna try somewhere else in Europe, London is my first choice for now.

Ok, let's get back to xpresso and TP... :D

AND even if you find a company to hire you, then both you and the company have to battle with the Department of labor for an LCA which you need to even apply for the visa.

And then you need to make sure you qualify for the visa ( university degree or 12 years work experience).

its been 4 months and im still waiting for the LCA...

Oh yeah it's horrible! I'm not an american citizen myself but I've been lucky to have been living hear for quite sometime, its been near impossible for my extended family to come visit! Madmonk, thanks! and It's real funny you say that, I just got done some work from craigslist looking to move to LA real soon to give it a go myself. Guru or not never give up on something you love.

London... I'd absolutely love to go there one day.