Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

Index external drives

Back in the old days, when zip drives and syquests roamed the earth, I used to use a tasty utility called findit or something similar, that would record a text file containing all files on that drive, so if you needed to search for a specific project you just searched in findit, inserted the right zip disk and there it was.

Then hard drives went super-size and cheap, and it didn't seem worth archiving externally for a while, just bung another terrabyte in the spare slots and off you go.

But now I'm finding projects can be 500Gb, 32-bit and stereo and HD etc - and I'm using external HD's more and more (actually bare HDs with a mounting device, but you get the idea)... and I'm running into the old problem of having to shuffle through a dozen drives trying to remember which one has the project from back in 2010 that suddenly needs updating.

Does anyone have any solutions to this? What I'd love is a simple drive indexer, that I could use to index every external HD then allow me to search through the whole library to find a specific file.

Any recommendations? Cheers! Chris

In answer to my own post, I've found a decent app that does just what I'm after, called DiskTracker, indexes full terabyte drives in under a minute, simple and fast to search.

Edrhine, the index would work fine for individual projects, but imagine its a logo I'm after, or a font, or reference clip and I don't know the project, that's where these apps shine.

Guest Sao_Bento

Ironically, that's the exact same app I used to use back in those "zip disk days".

In answer to my own post, I've found a decent app that does just what I'm after, called DiskTracker, indexes full terabyte drives in under a minute, simple and fast to search.

Edrhine, the index would work fine for individual projects, but imagine its a logo I'm after, or a font, or reference clip and I don't know the project, that's where these apps shine.

Ironically, that's the exact same app I used to use back in those "zip disk days".

Nifty, it does have a tasty old-school feel to it. 860px used to be a pretty wide screen. I love the floppy disk on the icon. It even scans into .zip files.

And how about this for an interface for printing your own CD labels:

lte_screenshot.png

Anyway, it's a gem, and now it's mine.

Guest Sao_Bento

At my second FT staff video editing gig at a boutique post house we had one 8GB array for ALL the projects. Had people bringing print graphics in on Syquest cartridges.

Oooh - that was sounding very "back in my day". What can I say, I'm old. That was AE 2.02, PS 3, and Media100 version 2 maybe?