Sign in to follow this  
louderthan11

Is there a way to convert null objects to lights in AE?

Convert: possibly export the project to an XML file...

1) Reduce project to only the minimum data needed, I.E. 1 comp with nulls to be converted to lights only. Nothing else.

2) Export project to XML "nullsproject.xml"

3) Make dummy project with 1 comp containing the type of light you want to replace the nulls with.

4) Export dummy project to XML "lightsproject.xml"

5) Open "lightsproject.xml" in a text editor, find the parameters for the light...

6) Open "nullsproject.xml" in a text editor, find the parameters of the null...

7) Find & replace the values in "nullsproject.xml" with relevant parameters of "lightsproject.xml" where appropriate.

8) Save "nullsproject.xml" as "nullsprojectconverted.xml"

9) Import "nullsprojectconverted.xml" in to AE.

I have no idea whether this will work practically or not. I'd suggest doing a small test with 1 null and 1 light to try it out, then scale up.

Of course you can easily parent a light to a null, and you can also use expressions to link the transform properties.

Best of luck - let us know your results!

Convert: possibly export the project to an XML file...

1) Reduce project to only the minimum data needed, I.E. 1 comp with nulls to be converted to lights only. Nothing else.

2..8) Blah Blah Blah

9) Import "nullsprojectconverted.xml" in to AE.

Just tried that... You're going to need a magic decoder ring. So little human-readable data in even the simplest of AE files that I do not envy your task.

Where is the null data coming from? Why do you need to convert them? More info might help your cause.

I might be over simplifying this... but why not just make a new light for each null and then make each of those lights a child of each null and zero out the position? Once the lights are in place you could just adjust the intensities...

Thankyou Mylenium! That's exactly what I was looking for and that script was designed to solve the exact issue I was dealing with. I was using Cameratracker to track shots and then create null objects based on the tracking points. I wanted to use those points with Plexus but Plexus doesn't use nulls. It uses lights. Cameratracker can't make lights from tracking data. See the dilema? :) Thanks for the help guys!