Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

Adobe Creative Cloud

I'm reading 'a monthly subscription' but i can't believe it because of the adobe pricing schemes that are hardwired in my head.

Maybe they should end the piece with 'Seriously, $50 a month for the software'.

Who knows, they might one day actually share what is going to be in CS6, as well as blathering on and on about how much more choice we're going to have, and how empowering it's going to be to be able to share my work over social networks (because that's been impossible until now of course), and how I can 'express my creativity' seamlessly on my phone and tablet, one hand on each, living the 'complete ideation-to-publishing experience'. Ideation? Really??

I reckon parallax has got it right. Just say fifty bucks and a nice concise feature list, I'm sure we'll manage to work the rest out ourselves...

This is... better than I was expecting. $50 / month for:

• Pretty much everything in Adobe's catalogue for both Mac and PC
  • 20gb of cloud storage
  • (Automatic?) syncing between computers
  • A massive online font collection
  • The ability to publish some stuff straight to iPads as applications

I could see a case made for this.

Looks great, but I just really need them to at least open the subscriptions again. I have been a subscriber since the subscription model released last year. At the beginning of this year, they lowered the price from $140 to $50 for my subscription, but thats pretty much all that changed thus far. I use the proto application for my tablet, but I haven't seen any cross-over abilities yet. Only that I can log online and download my project as a web page.

I wanted to use the savings to get all the machines, mix of mac and pc, running the same version and hopped immediately on the subscription bandwagon. When I went to add 2 more seats to my account they said they wont be accepting more suite subscriptions until the release of this cloud thing. No point in buying software, can't subscribe.... I'm just left stranded. I guess thats the woes of being an early adopter.

Todd? Any insight?

Guest Sao_Bento

The cloud solution from the "we-don't-support-opening-any-kind-of-files-over-any-kind-of-network-EVAR!" people.

From the FAQ page (http://www.adobe.com...ecloud/faq.html):

Paid individual memberships will start at US$49.99 a month (based on a one-year subscription)

So it STARTS at $50/month & NOT $50 for everything?

Rather than wait 12, 18, or 24 months for “new stuff” from Adobe, you can access and use new releases the minute they are available.

So that means individual apps will get their own updates now instead of waiting for the CS 18-24 months cycle?

So it STARTS at $50/month & NOT $50 for everything?

I took that to mean if you pay in yearly increments it's $50, and if you go month-to-month it'd be more expensive. It doesn't make sense that they'd publish a single list of "what's included" otherwise.

The cloud solution from the "we-don't-support-opening-any-kind-of-files-over-any-kind-of-network-EVAR!" people.

Explain?

Guest Sao_Bento

That's the line you get if Photoshop corrupts a file because you opened from a network drive - "We don't support opening files over a network" - you can look it up on the Adobe support site. Now they're selling you a network space to keep your files in. I wonder if they'll add PS support for checking files out and in or if they've learned how to open and close files over a network.

Explain?

That's the line you get if Photoshop corrupts a file because you opened from a network drive - "We don't support opening files over a network" - you can look it up on the Adobe support site. Now they're selling you a network space to keep your files in. I wonder if they'll add PS support for checking files out and in or if they've learned how to open and close files over a network.

I don't think one would be editing a project file that lies on a server, but rather suspect with hope that it is more of a dropbox-style local directory sync.

I took that to mean if you pay in yearly increments it's $50, and if you go month-to-month it'd be more expensive. It doesn't make sense that they'd publish a single list of "what's included" otherwise.

If it is in fact a local directory sync, like dropbox, I suspect there will be also be options to increase the already stated 20gb allocation amount. I do agree that from the sounds of it, the $50/month/year plan covers everything you really need, and there will be additional $5-$20 / month options add onto your subscription.

I am unclear on how they will handle multiple subscriptions. It sounds like if you want to have more than one license, you will need to have a business subscription which is stated to run $70/month/seat. There is some sort of collaboration software you get with that - but that collaboration service was kinda pitched as added value for business subscribers. I'd like to know if a one-license-per-individual rule will be enforced.

Edited by AromaKat

I've got Adobe Kuler running on my tablet (Android 3.2). The files reside the tablet until a copy is uploaded to the Abode Creative Cloud.

I think we need to watch Adobe like hawks with this change. There is no substantial competition. I can see a situation where Adobe starts to push up the costs once people are reliant on the Creative Cloud.

I think we need to watch Adobe like hawks with this change. There is no substantial competition. I can see a situation where Adobe starts to push up the costs once people are reliant on the Creative Cloud.

I was thinking the same thing - they've got the new "only upgrade from the previous version" policy....so you go for subscription with CS6, and then when CS7 comes out and you've decided you don't like something about the subscription model, you can't upgrade to a license becuase you never bought CS6, so you're stuck with the subscription or starting all over buying your Adobe apps, even if you've been a loyal customer for 20 years

hmmmm

Edited by mikeh64