Sign in to follow this  
pixelctrl

Is VRAY worth it?

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask, is VRAY really worth the price?

I'm not saying I want it, I've only recently started doing motion graphics, and would not spend that much on something motion graphics related, yet. But, for the people who have regular work from motion graphics, is VRAY really worth the price?

I'm just curious is all.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Eoin

Hey Eoin - I use VRay for anything product-related, where you need to make a really good match to real-world materials. Mobile phones, trainers, furniture, that sort of thing. Or where there's going to be heavy GI or glass in the scene. In these situations I'd say it's definitely a good investment, you'll save time and get a superior result.

For more graphic situations it's not really needed and I'd probably stick with the standard C4D renderer, or physical renderer if the deadlines weren't tight.

So it depends on what sort of work you're taking on.

Cheers - C

Edited by ChrisC

Agreed with Chris. If you're going for photo-realism, vRay is essential IMHO. Probably not so much for motion grfx, unless there's a certain physical reality component of your mograph scene. Typically I need to allow for extra time when texturing/lighting & render tests when using vRay, which would probably be prohibitive for mograph work. Definitely check out both the vRay for C4D site, as well as the forum. Lots of great info there.

Can someone explain why you would need VRAY since c4d has the physical render? (besides the materials that vray comes with) I havn't used vray on a project yet but would like to hear its advantages over the physical render system.

Can someone explain why you would need VRAY since c4d has the physical render? (besides the materials that vray comes with) I havn't used vray on a project yet but would like to hear its advantages over the physical render system.

Mainly speed, and the solid GI, and the complex, layered materials that give a realism I've never achieved in Cinema before (note - that could be my failing, not Cinema's).

Physical renderer has some nice features, great motion blur, but it's slow and has a lot of the same limitations as the standard renderer - single reflection layers, poor anisotropic effects, horrible GI caching.

But, mainly, it's speed.

Thanks so much for all the replies guys.

I've got the basic idea of it, vRay makes it look more real. I don't think I'll be buying it for quite some time, since I'm quite far off some freelance design work. But, once I get some clients, and I need faster render speeds, but still want to keep my renders real to life, then that will be the time for me to purchase vRay.

Thanks again,

Eoin

I use it sometimes ... my boss highly recommends using it . Basically his argument is that its faster with better results . I've used it and found it was a bit faster although I didn't conduct and scientific tests on that matter .

Some of the downs of using it in Cinema 4D though is that there are no Object Buffers , No Volumetric Lights , at least not that I know of

Its ideal for architecture rendering and design but not broadcast work , or at least not that important