Sign in to follow this  
John D

Is there a shortcut for resetting the centerpoint of an object In Cinema?`

If anyone has been following the Chris Schmit tutorials on GSG he shows you how to ad the PSR functionality that snaps your object to the O point of X,Y,Z, which is very helpful. I was wondering if there is another shortcut that will allow you to find the zero marks on an object where ever it is on the stage. So I dont what to find the zero mark of the stage but rather the zero mark of an object. Anyone know how to do this? As always any help is greatly appreciated.

not sure what you mean, but if you press shift+F12, you can search for the command called "reset PSR" i have it mapped to ~ , x (tilda then x).

then you just put the object you want to move under the object who's zero you want to move it to( in the object manager), hit tilda x and tadda. then just take it out of the hierarchy.

Alternatively you can use the transfer tool, with axis snapping turned on.

Reset PSR is an essential. It should have been in the startup layout out of the box.

Incidentally, if you hold down Alt when adding an object, it makes the selected object a child of the new object. If you hold down Shift, then the added object will be the child of the selected object. In this way, you can add an object as a child, then drag it out of hierarchy and it magically retains daddy's PSR. Word.

In case you meant to set the axis to the average centre of a mesh object, then Axis Center is your man. Just hit Execute. It also orients the object to whichever axis you choose.

Edited by iline

Reset PSR is an essential. It should have been in the startup layout out of the box.

Incidentally, if you hold down Alt when adding an object, it makes the selected object a child of the new object. If you hold down Shift, then the added object will be the child of the selected object. In this way, you can add an object as a child, then drag it out of hierarchy and it magically retains daddy's PSR. Word.

In case you meant to set the axis to the average centre of a mesh object, then Axis Center is your man. Just hit Execute. It also orients the object to whichever axis you choose.

While we're on this topic, is there some way to have new objects created on the layer of the object you currently have selected?

(For example, I'm working on some objects all on the same layer, with just that layer visible, and when I group them they disappear because the new null that is created isn't part of any layer...so I have to show all layers again add that new null to the layer I'm working with and then keep going..)

Major pain in the arse, that one. No idea. It's the kind of thing worth asking Maxon directly, because the Layers palette seems like a complete waste of space most of the time.

I ussually use layers when im anmating and im done with scene building. It helps having different object managers for different stuff. Like rigs/ camera selection and so on.

also obviously locking all the stuff you dont want to select.

Hitting alt G creates the group with the parent null selected, so instead of reshowing all the layers, you can just right click on the layer in the layer pallet and choose add objects to layer. This will add the parent null to the soloed layer without having to go back to the outliner. This was really helpful for me in a recent project.

Edited by kelceysteele

The layer dots next to the object's 'traffic lights' in the outliner should be a solo switch. nuff said. Maxon have failed to see why this would be useful because the layers palette expands upon the idea, but really, man just wanna solo.

i know this isnt perfect. But if you put your whole scene into a null. you can make that null invisible, with the red dot. and then just green dot the objects you are working on.

Synesthetic has a free Solo plugin, works great with R12. I've heard it's R13 as well, but haven't tried it. Coming from 3ds Max, my brain was hardwired to be able to solo objects. This satisfied it!

http://synesthetic.d.../soloUpdate.zip

That's great - but I can't find the other solo commands to assign shortcuts to. Having the 'Solo active object assigned is a big relef though!

Synesthetic has a free Solo plugin, works great with R12. I've heard it's R13 as well, but haven't tried it. Coming from 3ds Max, my brain was hardwired to be able to solo objects. This satisfied it!

http://synesthetic.d.../soloUpdate.zip

Thats a really nice plugin. Only thing thats annoying is that it doesnt consider hierarchies or its me doing something wrong. If you have things in a null it only solo the null and hide the children

I have not used the soloUpdate plugin (might do what you want) - instead I use "SoloButton" (free). It hasn't been updated for forever, but works fine with R13

http://www.forcedimension.jp/qdg/plugin.html

couldn't live without it: solo object, solo hierachy, move object to 000 (then back), and a tag to make sets of things to solo

Edited by mikeh64