Sign in to follow this  
RandomEntity

So I'm Moving to LA April 1st...

Just right over in Culver City. Little area called Fox Hills right behind that Westfield mall where the 90 meets the 405. I'm in a box under that overpass.

edit: googled ocean park. Yeah, you're like 15 minutes away, tops. Ridiculous.

Edited by Binky

Yeah, even if'n you're around for lunch on the westside we can hit up Urth or more deliciously Holy Guacomole.

Harry's around your neck as well.

Edited by C.Smith

Yeah, even if'n you're around for lunch on the westside we can hit up Urth or more deliciously Holy Guacomole. Harry's around your neck as well.

Holy Guacamole, unholy land of the Super Burrito? Super Burrito, code for "gimme an entire infant unwillingly stuffed into a tortilla"? Large enough to cradle in your arms? You could put a leash on it and walk it around the block? Super Burrito, destroyer of worlds and bowels and dignity? Super Burrito, who I've miraculously defeated in one sitting only one time, to my solitary amazement and subsequent self-disgust? Call Harry, we'll get him drunk and peer pressure him into eating the whole thing, then take him to the ER. We'll stop off for a costco dog on the way there and pack it down his gullet while he's unconscious. Good ol' fashioned forced gluttony.

Who else is down for that? Who wouldn't be?!!

Ooooh I stopped by for my bi-monthly visit to mograph.net at just the right time! Been here just over 6 months or so and still need to meet more peoples in my biz. Oh hell, I just like people in general.

I shall be watching this thread for what west side watering holes/vomitoriums I should look into stalking.

LA rent ain't nothing compared to NYC rent ;)

Ya'all gotta get your shit together. We meet up every month out here. LA was a nice place to work but its a pain in the ass to get people to commit to doing anything. Its that whole driving deal. Walking/biking/subway is definitely more ideal.

Back to the topic at hand.. Make the move. Get a cheap place somewhere near the city if you're worried about money then make a bigger move once you're settled in. Moving families is tough from what I've seen so try to be as bare bones as possible when moving.

Just got to Riverside last night. Pretty excited to actually have jobs to apply to. Really stoked about all of the opportunity actually DO STUFF. Probably going to stay in Riverside for a bit until we can afford the move closer into LA, it just makes more sense right now.

This is not a solution for everyone, but a motorcycle is a weapon of great utility in the war against traffic. If you have a hot head, a showboatin' attitude, or a wandering mind, make sure you're an organ donor, but otherwise, it's cheap on the gas and is a hot knife through traffic butter.

I was thinking about that, actually. But considering I never learned how to ride a bike, due to a malicious sister who kept pushing me off, I don't know how well that would work.

Just got to Riverside last night. Pretty excited to actually have jobs to apply to. Really stoked about all of the opportunity actually DO STUFF. Probably going to stay in Riverside for a bit until we can afford the move closer into LA, it just makes more sense right now.

Congrats! That took guts.

I don't know what jobs you might be applying to, but regardless of whether you land one of them, it's still gonna be a scramble the first few months. And one of the things you'll want to prioritize is getting your portfolio up online. It's not a horrible market for you, but there are a lot of other people like you out there making it really easy for producers to find them amongst the weeds. And producers are human; they'll take a safe, easy bet instead of working harder to find out about you. So if you have a way of applying for jobs without a site, milk that resource immediately, and then get cracking on getting your work on the web whether you land something or not.

It's gonna be a game of catch-up until you get yourself established, but there are opportunities that will open up. And once you start finding some spare time/money, the city sprawl really has a lot to offer. Riverside... not so much. And you're really really far out (pick some podcasts for that drive). So play that game, get yourself into town, and some time soon you'll be good to go.

And one of the things you'll want to prioritize is getting your portfolio up online. It's not a horrible market for you, but there are a lot of other people like you out there making it really easy for producers to find them amongst the weeds. And producers are human; they'll take a safe, easy bet instead of working harder to find out about you. So if you have a way of applying for jobs without a site, milk that resource immediately, and then get cracking on getting your work on the web whether you land something or not.

My stuff is up on behance and vimeo which I include links to in the emails I've been sending out. I also have a print design/production background so I can hit up print shops and the like for a steady job. I think things are going to be ok.

My stuff is up on behance and vimeo which I include links to in the emails I've been sending out. I also have a print design/production background so I can hit up print shops and the like for a steady job. I think things are going to be ok.

Good job on taking the plunge. You have enough fire under your seat to ensure you keep hustling. The one and only reason I see people fail to transition is from them expecting work to just land in their laps now that they are here. Keep looking for the next gig while still working a current one and you will be fine.

Having only vimeo, etc references isn't acceptible. When I am looking for help, those links don't even get clicked and I move on to the next. The cheapest / easiest option is squarespace.

Having only vimeo, etc references isn't acceptible. When I am looking for help, those links don't even get clicked and I move on to the next. The cheapest / easiest option is squarespace.

I gotta second that. When I'm looking for freelancers if you don't have a basic portfolio site you won't really be considered. Besides squarespace there's also cargocollective also free or supercheap if you want a custom URL . If your stuff is all up on vimeo it's a no brainer to just embed it all on a cargo site.</div>

Edited by anothername

Noted, setting up a squarespace now! As soon as I get some money coming in I'll set up a real site. And I've already gotten a non paying quick gig doing some compositing, but I'm making contacts so that pays for itself.

Guest Sao_Bento

Not sure if people who don't pay you for the work you do are the kind of people you want to be networking with.