Sign in to follow this  
marc_pearson

PyDeform v2.0 is here!!!

There is great news, PyDeform v2.0 is here and what an update it is! In this release PyDeform has been transformed into the most useful tool of its kind. Here is a list of the new features:

• Twenty-five built-in deformers to choose from
  • Automatically positions and re-sizes the deformer so you dont have to!
  • Update deformer orientation AND size on the fly!
  • Huge time-saver and efficiency booster!
  • Dockable, intuitive interface

Additionally, I am proud to announce that I have partnered with Robert Leger at c4dtools.net and PyDeform will now be exclusively sold through his online C4D resource shop.

You can find PyDeform here:

www.c4dtools.net/pydeform/

or here:

www.footprint-productions.com/products/pydeform-plugin-for-cinema-4d

or on Vimeo:

www.vimeo.com/38103504

I hope you like the new version!

-Marc Pearson

Edited by marc_pearson

Looks handy! Two quickie questions

1) How easy is it to stack deformers, say add a twist, then a bend? If I add, say, an FFD after a twist, does the size reflect the twist or just the parent's undistorted size?

2) Does the resize work with non-poly objects - Matrix objects, arrays, splines etc.

Cheers! C

Edited by ChrisC

Looks handy! Two quickie questions

1) How easy is it to stack deformers, say add a twist, then a bend? If I add, say, an FFD after a twist, does the size reflect the twist or just the parent's undistorted size?

2) Does the resize work with non-poly objects - Matrix objects, arrays, splines etc.

Cheers! C

Chris,

You can add the deformers until you get tired of clicking the button. The plugin places each newly created deformer as the first child of the parent, thus leaving the creative stacking and order of operations to the user. The goal is to place the deformer with its parent for you to save time. The deformer takes on the size of the object you have selected when you add it. If you have something that you have deformed and you then want to deform that resulting shape, the best way would be to convert it to an object with the "Current state to object" command and then continue to stack your new deformers.

PyDeform will work on anythying that has a referencable size to it...primitive, polygonal objects, metaballs, cloners, Matrix obejcts etc. However, it does not work on splines and arrays.

I hope that helps!

-Marc

Hey Marc,

Pretty neat. I watched your video. Have you thought about doing this as a tag plugin so it can go on any deformer and auto scale all the time? That way you wouldn't need to open the dialog and update when the object scales. Maybe you already thought about that.

If this doesn't make sense, I made an example. There are python tags in place of where your tag plug-in could go. But try scaling the objects and the deformer stays with it. If you do this as a real tag plug-in you can override the Message method of TagData so that it only scales when the user changes a parameter so it doesn't have to calculate on every cycle like my example does.

http://sugartv.com/DeformAutoScale.c4d.zip

Hey Marc,

Pretty neat. I watched your video. Have you thought about doing this as a tag plugin so it can go on any deformer and auto scale all the time? That way you wouldn't need to open the dialog and update when the object scales. Maybe you already thought about that.

If this doesn't make sense, I made an example. There are python tags in place of where your tag plug-in could go. But try scaling the objects and the deformer stays with it. If you do this as a real tag plug-in you can override the Message method of TagData so that it only scales when the user changes a parameter so it doesn't have to calculate on every cycle like my example does.

http://sugartv.com/D...toScale.c4d.zip

I had thought about that yes...but I was way too deep into the code to want to go back and restructure. I am compiling a list of updates for the next version. I will definitely give this some more thought and see if there is a way to integrate this kind of functionality without a complete redo :) I am relying on the community and the users to provide the roadmap from here on out. If there is something they wish it would do...and if it is feasible to implement...then I will do my best to get those implemented in an upcoming version release.

Just curious, how long have you been coding Python?

Anyway, thanks a million for the feedback! Feel free to give me a shout!

-Marc

Just curious, how long have you been coding Python?

-Marc

Oh, around the time I did the 2010 Siggraph presentation for Maxon on Python I had been doing it for a few months by then. So I guess 2 yearsish now? Been programming library code to support redoing all the CSTools as plug-ins and R&D for new plug-ins which has taken me over a year at least. Still ongoing :D.

Oh, around the time I did the 2010 Siggraph presentation for Maxon on Python I had been doing it for a few months by then. So I guess 2 yearsish now? Been programming library code to support redoing all the CSTools as plug-ins and R&D for new plug-ins which has taken me over a year at least. Still ongoing :D.

I remember a presentation of yours being one of the first c4d videos I ever watched...only been using c4d for maybe 2.5 to 3 years. I am sure that you could code circles around me! I have only been coding/scripting for c4d for about 2 months. I took it on as a personal challenge for growth because I saw the power that you could have. PyDeform began as a simple script to make my workflow easier and then evolved into something I thought would be able to help the community as well.

Anyway, I am taking your suggestions to heart and looking for ways to make PyDeform even better :)

If I run into a Python snag I may give you a shout ;)