Sign in to follow this  
louderthan11

background object does not render viewed through a material with alpha

Hey guys, I've got a material applied to a plane with alpha. The alpha channel works great, transparency is fine until I move the camera so that the background object is visible through the transparent part of the material. When I render, the background object doesn't show up behind the material. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?

If its rendering black where the background should be you may want to check your ray-depth settings in options it maybe at a low number and thats causing your prob. upping it may help out.

hope that helps in someway.

-coin

Hey CoinStar, thanks for the response. I tried upping my ray-depth settings from 15-60 to no avail. Would I need to go higher than that? I've attached a screenshot so you can see better what is happening. Thanks for the help.

noBGC4d.png

I also just noticed looking at this that the BG isn't showing up through the transparent objects either. I ended up using a sky object instead and set the projection on the material tag to frontal. I ended up with the same look I wanted and it worked. Anyone know whats up with this though?

I don´t know if I understand the problem. But could it be that you use a compositing tag on the sky object and "seen by refractions" is activated.

Another thing is that C4D has bigtime issues with its alpha channels on planes. Dof of field and reflections won´t work correctly - This is the one evil thing in C4D which is bugging me for years...

Just out of curiousty would the problem occur if you got rid of the background object. and replaced it with say a floor that was at a vertical orientation?

I seem to recall something about the background object acting funny in certain situations. and the "floor-trade" being a work around. but Im not all too certain as to the reason.