Sign in to follow this  
ctarroza

Advice on contacting Companies for Jobs

I'm a video editor and motion graphics designer. I've been working at a small ad agency for a year and am really hoping to move up to other, more experienced, studios in the city.

There are many great places in Toronto that produce amazing work, places where I would love to work. I'm wondering what is the best approach to contacting them. I'm hesitant to start cold-calling/emailing them but at the moment, that is my only option. I don't have many friends in the industry but I'm hoping to work on that in the near future by going to some meetup groups in the city.

I really want to move on from my current employment and actually work in a more accomplished studio. I'm currently the sole video editor at the place I work and you can only learn so much working alone!

If I do go with the cold-call/email route, maybe I shouldn't ask for a job straight off the bat, but maybe ask to visit the studio and take a peek. Just a thought.

So what's your take on cold-calling/emailing?

I've had good luck cold emailing (for freelance not staff). I think the key is to have an effective site and reel and to email it to someone who is not the secretary/general info person but someone who is a producer, art director etc. I keep my emails short and to the point: here is what I can do for you here is a link to my reel, can we talk to discuss further. If there is a positive response then I try and follow it up with a phone call or a face to face meeting.

A lot of it is about following up over time, people can love your reel but not need someone right at that moment. There is a fair bit of luck involved too, most people are more likely to take a chance on someone they haven't worked with before when they are slammed.

I've also found it's about numbers most people won't get back to you, of those that do a lot won't turn into actual work but all it really takes is a couple job offers, or a few new clients and all the nos don't matter as long as there are that percentage of yes'.

Helps a lot to research the company what they do and point out if there is a particular way your skill set or style might be a good fit, and like I said dig around and try and find the email of an Art Director, Producer, Post Supervisor as opposed to general HR or info emails.

Thanks anothername.

I agree about contacting someone in the right position. The plan was to call the front desk and ask who would be in charge of hiring and go from there. i think an email at first is best; I know I would be turned off if I received a random call from someone I don't know.

As long as I go about it the right way, I suppose the worst that can happen is I get a no or no response at all.