Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

Need help - Divide texture among polygon faces

Would really appreciate some quick feedback on this (trying to hit a deadline).

I've looked everywhere and I don't know how to properly search for what I'm looking for, so i'm hoping someone here can figure out what I'm trying to do.

I have a bunch of polygon faces that unfold (manually animated) and reveal a video. I need to texture a group of these tiles so that they piece together a video when they unfold. How can I accomplish that? I screwed around with adding a texture to a group null that has all of my animated polygons and changing the projection to "frontal" and a few others, but I can't get it just right. Frontal specifically rotates based on the camera's perspective. I just need to stick this video to these specific polygons so that when they unfold they reveal the video.

I know about GSG's texture mapping "trick" with using an alpha channel in AE, but I don't want that. I need actual deformation of the video on each piece. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to achieve, but can't you just set polygon selections, delete UVW's, use frontal (or camera) projection for mapping (when it's all unfolded) and regenerate UVW's?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to achieve, but can't you just set polygon selections, delete UVW's, use frontal (or camera) projection for mapping (when it's all unfolded) and regenerate UVW's?

Possibly, maybe I don't know about doing it that way? So what you're suggesting is selecting the polygons I want to texture, set selection for each of them, then delete UVWs and... I'm not sure how to regenerate UVW's after setting the texture to frontal (or camera) mapping. Could you elaborate on that?

(Thanks for your reply by the way!)

Oh wait! I think I figured it out! I figured out how to generate UVW's, then adding a "stick texture" tag worked (thats what I was missing before when I was attempting to use this tag). Makes sense now. This might get me to my goal here. I'll reply with any new problems that come up as I mess around with this.

**EDIT**

Totally knocked this out of the park. I'm pretty stoked about the results I came up with. Forget the projection mapping, lining up textures, UVW's, etc.

I just set every polygon as 1 object buffer, then rendered out a UV pass and brought it into AE and textured everything from there. You get the sticking of the texture, plus the easy of swapping out footage in AE. SO much easier. If anyone is curious about my process, let me know and when I find the time I can write up a more detailed explanation + project files. I used this guy's UV mapper plugin for AE: (Andrew Yang http://aescripts.com/yy_uvmapper/).

Edited by dotcommer