Sign in to follow this  
javin

Trapcode Particular Z Offset: What would be 200%?

Hello everyone,

I am using TrapCode Particular's "Z Offset" function to scale my animation to 200% of the original size.

My problem is that "Z Offset" does not operate in terms of percentages. You must input a value from -1000 to +1000.

My question is: What value would be equal to 200%?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

I don't really follow. If you mean the Z Offset in the World Transform, that's in absolute pixels and it can be much larger than -1000/1000. Also, since cameras are spherical and the perceived scale changes with lens curvature then, there is no simple linear formula. You can only calculate/ guesstimate it by the visible size and depending on what your emitter does, anyway, and where it is in the scene, that could be even more tricky. So I'm really not sure what you are asking here. Especially if you do not have a physical camera as a reference in your scene you can only visually judge it as you scrub the values. For everything else there may be a way to calculate it based on old distance vs. new distance equals old size vs. new size...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

Thanks Mylenium, I suppose I will duplicate the layer, upscale the duplicate to 200%, and then match the original Trapcode layer to the size by using the Z Offset in the World Transform as close as I can get it.

It's a pretty simple animation I am using in an iPhone game. When submitting an application you must submit standard and Retina(2x) graphics. I am now building the animation in 2x. I have everything else ready, but wanted to see if there was a simple way to scale Particular to double its size. Of course while still maintaining it's crispness and clarity.

1. Add a camera to your scene
  2. Double the size of your Comp & Solid
  3. Double the camera Zoom (Camera Options > Zoom)
  4. Profit

An aside, but say you've animated the Camera Zoom and need to upscale your comp you can use the expression "value*2"

I've done this a lot when upconverting SD comps to HD, most of the time you can get away with changing the size of your comp and adding "value*1.875" (where 1920/1024 = 1.875, so 1280/864 = 1.481 etc) to your Camera Zoom.