Sign in to follow this  
foughtthelaw

Going freelance after 7 years at an ad agency with this reel

you have some fantastic work. i'm nowhere on your level but i always like when the edit plays off the music.....that's what i'm missing from your reel. something like this:https://vimeo.com/36693150. build some anticpation and excitement :)...but other than that your work rocks.

Good stuff man. A couple critiques...

1) Looks like your typography skills need to be polished a bit.

2) Maybe this is just me, but I don't know that you have to be so specific about what you do in your intro. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

2) Maybe this is just me, but I don't know that you have to be so specific about what you do in your intro. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

agreed. the work you show will tell us the work you do.

Thanks guys. I'm confident I can make this work but support and encouragement always feel good.

Good stuff man. A couple critiques...

1) Looks like your typography skills need to be polished a bit.

Daveglanz:

1.) you're dead right. the agency I've been working at treats motion design as production animation. as such the design side of things has gotten somewhat rusty. type especially

2.) I debated this for a long time. That's there because of the range of things I do. the biggest problem people I showed earlier versions of this too had was not being able to tell what exactly I did in each shot because my roll was different in most of them. not sure this is the best solve for that but it's where I landed. still a good point though

agreed. the work you show will tell us the work you do.

Sadly that's not always the case. For instance, the audi thing up front I was camera man and I did some paint work to clean up logos around the track. For the big sweeping 3d stuff just after that I directed an external vendor and did all the compositing / finishing myself. for the Girl punching blocks I directed the shoot, edited the pieces did the 3d animation and compositing. Some of the shots in there have had up to 5 people work on them. Each job is one I could have done but didn't based on limitations of the various projects.

Honestly I view the reel as a foot in the door. Something to start the conversation where I give a detailed account of everything I did. There's nothing in there I couldn't do, but as with many people I'm not 100% responsible for every pixel in it.

Sadly that's not always the case. For instance, the audi thing up front I was camera man and I did some paint work to clean up logos around the track. For the big sweeping 3d stuff just after that I directed an external vendor and did all the compositing / finishing myself. for the Girl punching blocks I directed the shoot, edited the pieces did the 3d animation and compositing. Some of the shots in there have had up to 5 people work on them. Each job is one I could have done but didn't based on limitations of the various projects.

Honestly I view the reel as a foot in the door. Something to start the conversation where I give a detailed account of everything I did. There's nothing in there I couldn't do, but as with many people I'm not 100% responsible for every pixel in it.

"Motion graphics - animator"

"Visual Effects - Artist"

"Editor"

"Photographer"

Those words didnt tell me what you were camera man for which shots. Nor did it tell me that the 3D stuff wasn't yours. It didnt tell me you did compositing. It didnt tell me the roles.

So i think you can leave those pull words out. Because its not effectively adding much value to your reel.

I actually quite like the intro with your self-titling. It's quick and not intrusive and functions like a title should. It's an appropriate "in" to your work.

But the solution to communicating your role in each shot is pretty simple: provide a credit list on the page where your reel lives.

Now that you've got the credit list, you don't have to show drawn out technical breakdowns. So you can highlight the compositing shots in an engaging way instead of swipe - label - swipe - label - swipe - label - swipe - swipe - swipeswipe etc. I always feel like the "I'm a compositor so I'll show you all of my compositing layers" strategy is missing the point. It'd be like a Toyota dealership trying to sell a car to a nice couple by showing them the car but then diverting their attention to this stack of early concept sketches on the table, and another stack of blueprints over here, and this video of engineering group B talking about hydraulic rig bolting shear, and pictures of valves being adjusted and so on. It misses the point. Almost no one who looks at a reel cares how it was done or how hard it was to do. They can't commiserate with the strain of your work effort. They care that it's compelling and/or looks good and is memorable, interesting, etc. The rest is for tutorial breakdowns to be seen on youtube by 15yr olds trying to wrangle after effects into making their super ultra rad skate video even more super ultra rad.

You may be looking to use this to get a foot in the door, but that's like going to a house party where you plan on meeting girls, and showing up kind of unkempt wearing something that looks like you weren't planning on leaving the house and just standing there at the at the chip bowl muddling through idle chat with a couple of people who are refilling. And that's not to say that your reel is unkempt, but why not dress to impress? Maybe there's a supermodel there tonight. Maybe her name is Prologue.

Having said that, your stuff looks good, but your reel is boring. The audio, and your editing to it, seem to have a great relationship in the beginning, and there seems to be lots of potential for the whole thing to swell and become something really emotive... but it never does. The audio continues on in a very sleepy way, never reaches any crescendo, nor grows or evolves. And your edit pretty much follows suit. You've got me through about the 20 second mark, maaaaaaybe the 30, where I'm thinking "oh lovely, this is gonna get real good", but beyond that I'm losing faith, and then it's just dead time. And that's a shame because your work does look pretty good. But if I'm asleep by the end of it, what's the point? The first ten seconds tell me that your sensibilities are strong, but you fail to use them through the rest of the montage.

Essentially, yes, you can totally put this reel out there. And I'm sure you'll get some bites on that line. But why not bait the line with something that will have people really excited, and fighting to jump on? We don't even need to tell you how to do it. You're fully capable.

For some reason it seems that everyone's first reel cut suffers from the same issue: it's too long. Music and edit pacing issues aside, I think you can drive up the quality of the reel overall by bringing it under the 1 min mark. Cut it down to just the sexiest stuff, maybe put up an online portfolio if you want to show off complete work but keep the reel punchy and tight.

Also agree with amping up the music selection, that track feels a little like something that was just yanked out of Soundtrack and placed over some footage. Use your reel's edit to tell a story. Go meta. Work looks fine though, you should be able to get a job no problem. Best of luck.