Sign in to follow this  
deceasar

GreyScaleGorilla Transform Plugin

I'm sure there will be some people who do novel things with it. But it seems like an amputated version of the mograph module built around a bunch of presets. I don't see anything that it can do that can't be done in a significantly more customizable way with mograph. The advantage, as with anything preset-based, is that if you don't have a specific idea in mind, the plugin kind of gives you a handful of ideas to choose from, and then makes it happen fast.

It's like if MacGuyver had a kid brother who carried around a backpack with 20 pre-prepared escape gadgets for specific instances of danger. If he's ever welded into the airplane lavatory when the pilots both suffer heart attacks, he's got an airbag-plus-aspirin-deployer thing that works OK for that. And if there's ever a bomb in someone's mailbox that's rigged with a pressure sensor, he's got a chainsaw-on-a-pulley thing that works OK for that. The reality, however, is that he wants to be like his older bro who can pretty much scrape his way out of any situation, so he goes lookin for danger. But when he finds it, whatever it is, he usually just chainsaw-on-a-pulleys it and calls it a day.

Nick seems pretty business-minded, and this is definitely a sort of business product. It's guided instant productivity at a low price point (probably). It'll sell for him because it's like the Chip Clip of 3d plugins. The Salad Shooter of fracture animators. It doesn't do its job any better than cheaper more versatile pre-existing solutions, but it tells you exactly what it DOES do so that you don't have to think. With a hammer, every problem is a nail. And 6-12 months from now we'll start seeing untweaked default instances of the most popular presets slathered all over beginner reels and on commercials we love to hate. Local car dealer? Fracture that shit! AWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME!!!

I Think at some point its hindering the progress of some people ... When you want to do a Transformer style animation you'll use it instead of doing it manually or scratching your head to find the best way .. Less and less people will not know how to do this animation because they'll think this plugin is the way to do it so less and less people will care to teach how to do it and the art will be lost forever not to mention that eventually it will be about who has the better plugins not skills ...

I Have the light kit installed on my workstation and nothing kills me like when I'm asked to use a studio from it .. " You must use it .. Its great" as if it makes things magically beautiful .. I personally for for the lights rather than the presets because I want to learn and although I'm intrigued about the science behind the Transform plugin I hope I don't have to use it a lot ....

With a hammer, every problem is a nail.
<br />

It's guided instant productivity at a low price point (probably).</div>

Custom is always better than stock, but there isn't always the time or the budget to go do that photo shoot or custom design type, or model from scratch on every project. We all gotta eat and there is nothing wrong with using a stock shot when you gotta do a quick turnaround local spot, but you wouldn't use that same stock shot in multiple projects.

At the price Nick is selling these things I look at the the same as a stock model or clip. If I'm working on something lower budget and what the client asks for can be obtained quickly and cheaply using these products I can use it on only the one project and it's paid for itself and I never need to use it again.

I did that with city kit, used it on exactly one job to generate a skyline and it doesn't owe me anything, I'll probably never use it again and I still feel the product was worth at the price.</div>

BUT of course the important thing is to use the product when it fits the design and not to design to fit the product (and if I have the budget to do custom I'm always going to do custom).

Of course there will be a ton of hack uses of this product, but hacks will always be hacks and if they don't all jump on this then it will be some other plugin or tutorial of the month they all jump on.

So I guess my point is while I agree with everything Binky said I still think the GSG products are a reasonably priced solution to certain problems, and have a legit place in the market. And honestly the more lazy people out there are who don't want to learn how to MacGuyver their projects and just want to slap on a quick GSG preset that's cool, I'm more than happy to take on the custom stuff they won't/can't do.

Edited by anothername

So I guess my point is while I agree with everything Binky said I still think the GSG products are a reasonably priced solution to certain problems, and have a legit place in the market.

Totally. I'm mostly having a poke at an overall trend.

Can't say I've never slapped a stock Optical Flare on a failing design for some distracting sparkle value.

For the most part, I follow what GSG and VCP do so I know what I now can't do if I want to be taken seriously, and to watch out for when looking through reels when I need freelance help. Will I shatter something now just because I can? Oh wait, we have been able to do that for... um... ever??

Not trying to put down either of those guys though - or their products. As Binky said - its their business and I respect that, hoping others follow and venture out to make their own cool tools.

I'm just always trying to distance myself from the common looks and overused effects repetitively done by the bottom of the barrel talent options out there. When I'm looking for freelance help, if I suspect even a tiny bit of GSG / VCP in their reel I move on because it means the piece was either a spec, or they aren't capable of problem solving.

I am absolutely stoked for element though. That will be a game changer because its enhancing workflow - not just giving everyone preset crap.

Edited by AromaKat

Its Video CoPilot's new 3d plugin (Linked to a google search because there were multiple previews posted but aren't linked together on the site)

The demo at mgla was crazy. The power is in the ability to bring in obj files and animate / texture them in AE. It was almost realtime working with it as well. Particles are built in as well, but.. meh.

i hate to admit it but i love the light kit. idk why. maybe it's just the idea of seeing soft lights in my scene. also, the hdri kit is pretty convenient. i know i could just use a sky object and whatnot. i rarely use the pre-made hdri files though. i doubt i would ever use transform though. i'd rather build my own effector setups.

I occasionally find myself schooling producers on what reels are tutorial driven/loaded with preset animations.. Which sucks because I don't always keep up on the newest tutorials/plugins and sometimes find myself fooled by some of the reels out there. It's an odd consequence of the new business model in our field. It's great that the talented folk in our field are finding extra income and thus inspiring more people to start blogging/creating tutorials but sometimes it comes at a price.

turbonegro-scandinavianleather.jpg?w=500

A promo for Scandinavian Leather?

nay

More like the eventuality of anything, really. The leveled playing field is fertilized with the remains of the the fist wavers.

I've got to say, I don't agree with some of this. I understand that technique, work, talent and experience rule. I know that just because my kid can make something that looks like a Pollack doesn't make it a Pollack.

But if we had to reinvent the wheel everytime, there'd never be forward progress. Nick and Andrew's stuff, for example, has OFTEN allowed me to skip a few steps to get to something new. After 15 years in this business, no one can make me feel bad about cutting a few corners to get there.

Sometimes, it seems to me that the people complaining about everyone not starting at Point A are the ones who HAD TO start at Point A.

I believe that, as always, good work will win out. Just because I started a project with OF, Transform and the Light Kit does not make it better or worse than something else. Me being a shitty artist with no vision will make it worse. Hell, back in the day I knew a few old designers who came up as sign painters who thought I was a cheating punk for using Illustrator.

One of the gripes isn't with people who use it to get to step B faster, its with people who stop at step B :)

I've got to say, I don't agree with some of this. I understand that technique, work, talent and experience rule. I know that just because my kid can make something that looks like a Pollack doesn't make it a Pollack.

But if we had to reinvent the wheel everytime, there'd never be forward progress. Nick and Andrew's stuff, for example, has OFTEN allowed me to skip a few steps to get to something new. After 15 years in this business, no one can make me feel bad about cutting a few corners to get there.

Sometimes, it seems to me that the people complaining about everyone not starting at Point A are the ones who HAD TO start at Point A.

I believe that, as always, good work will win out. Just because I started a project with OF, Transform and the Light Kit does not make it better or worse than something else. Me being a shitty artist with no vision will make it worse. Hell, back in the day I knew a few old designers who came up as sign painters who thought I was a cheating punk for using Illustrator.

One of the gripes isn't with people who use it to get to step B faster, its with people who stop at step B :)

Well said.

Anything that looks VCP / GSG generally means that their software, plugins, libraries, etc were used as a method and not a tool in the big picture. I need to play around with fracture before I can say for sure, but I highly suspect that there isn't much of a real tool there, and that the use of it in any capacity will just set off alarms to those in the know when looking through my work.

Edited by AromaKat

Well said.

Anything that looks VCP / GSG generally means that their software, plugins, libraries, etc were used as a method and not a tool in the big picture.

Absolutely. Remember Kai's Power Tools? Same issue, different decade. And Silatix, I also agree. You can always tell a hack not by the first 15%, but by the last 15%.

Guest Sao_Bento

Maybe you're thinking of "Soap" or "Goo", or whatever that one was called. The actual PS plug "Kai Power Tools" was definitely in "pro" use - those CD-ROM buttons weren't making themselves, you know?

At the risk of giving away my age, when was Kai's Power Tools ever used in a professional context? I thought it was just for making your friends and family laugh.

what's more important...the finished piece or how they they made the finished piece? in my mind a tool is a tool and if you're a good or bad designer it's going to show regardless of what you have to work with.....

I would say one weakness in "the process" would be if a client comes back and requests a change that the plugin doesn't have a button for. Personally, I have no issue with the VCP/GSG stuff. It's the lazy guy who doesn't integrate it into a good concept that causes these discussions.

-gl

what's more important...the finished piece or how they they made the finished piece? in my mind a tool is a tool and if you're a good or bad designer it's going to show regardless of what you have to work with.....

I have the beta of Element. I haven't played much with it, mostly because if I want to manipulate C4D models in 3D space, i'll do it in Cinema. But there are times when it'll be the 3D plugin of choice for AE. It really is impressive, in a very presetty way, but the things it can do...whoa Nelly...

apropos of Transform - it really is a shell for executing xpresso nodes that are difficult to hook up quickly. I don't like the splinter shapes it seems to make - if it could use vertex maps or bitmaps for shatter maps then that's something. If it has an in-built ability to select individual pieces/clones for attention, great. But as someone who has taken the time to dick about with xpresso instead of styling myself as a designer, it looks a bit simple.

I just discovered this great script for C4D http://vimeo.com/36915151, thanks to GSG five second project winner.

I might add some english translation, 2 or 3 tutorials , a few presets, maybe even an xpresso tag using time so you don't have to keyframe anything, and sell it for 99,99$. anyone here would buy it? I'm thinking to call it Unfolderator Pro.