Sign in to follow this  
deceasar

GreyScaleGorilla Transform Plugin

I'm not a big fan... charging $200 for something that can EASILY be created in C4D. Some of those presets are as simple as polyfx and a random effector. If you're shelling out $4000 for a piece of software, I don't see how you can justify another $200 for a plugin that doesn't bring anything new to the table (it's not a fucking fluid/smoke simulator).

Perhaps if this was $10-$25 (which is what it's worth), then I wouldn't be so bitchy about it. But shit... if it was me, I'd give it away for free.

And if you're considering buying it, go watch his NAB presentation this year. At the end, when he previews the plugin and opens the file, that pretty little NULL is open, exposing its contents.

Cheers to taking advantage of your customers/fans/followers/etc.

Woooo !!! did it use some kind of preset for the audio too ?

Don't quite know what was going on there but it has poor taste , I'm glad he took that well in my comment on Vimeo

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in with some thoughts about what has been said about Transform. All this feedback is always helpful.

First, we make tools to try to save time and allow you to concentrate on doing more difficult stuff. If you can make your own soft boxes, textures, cities, explode effects and HDRI maps and have time to, go for it. But, I'm hoping that our tools save you that time so you can do the more specialized and fun stuff.

About our plugin not being a "plugin". True, our Chunk mode relies on the Explosion Effects object to do the breaking. We even have a tutorial to show you exactly how to do it yourself. If all you need is chunking, you probably want NitroBlast anyway. :) However, we think Transform is WAY more than just chunks. Chunk mode is one of many modes to help you animate your scene. Transform helps animate anything with no keyframes. The plugin not only adds preset functionality, but also automatically finds the size of your object and runs the effects in any direction accordingly. There is also a shader mode that allows you to animate your objects in any order using a gradient. Did I mention Custom mode where you can build your own animation style? There really is a lot of work that went into this plugin and if it's not clear to you, then it's probably my fault and I did a poor job of showing it's value.

Transform did start it's life as a simple shatter tool, but as we worked, it has quickly outgrew that. I think it's a tool for all animators. Plus, It's a blast to play with even in custom mode. Please keep the feedback coming and we will keep making Transform better. Transform is a 1.0 product and I really appreciate all the people that got it early on it's its life. We have huge plans for this thing and I hope it will exceed peoples expectations.

Cheers,

Nick

Props to you Nick for being a champion of taking complaints gracefully-- but I don't think the problem most people are seeing here has much to do with the product (which is, by all accounts, dope as shit) so much as it has to do with what people will use if for. It's more of a "with great power comes great responsibility" thing-- and you've just given a hell of a lot of people some pretty great power.

Speaking only for myself here, I don't think the concern is even about your actual customers so much as it is with the small-gig BitTorrent crowd. It's safe to assume that anyone ready to drop $200 on a plugin has their head squarely in the game and is ready to commit to exploring the technology you've provided thoroughly and using it responsibly. There are plenty out there, however, who are going to steal your plugin and use its magic powers to make complicated-looking but ultimately unrefined animations for small/local clients. That's what I'm more afraid of.

You're in a really, really cool position of running an astoundingly good and deservedly popular C4D training site. A lot of people who want to get into using these tools come to your site for guidance, and between you, Monkey, and Chris-- well shit, they've got some pretty good teachers. That rad little site of yours also makes you a tastemaker for young motion designers, and I feel like that comes with a lot of responsibility. Your lightkits, I think, were a fantastic resource for everyone who needed a quick solution to the much-maligned lighting process. They got the job done of giving people a simple, intuitive, and fast interface that brought down a lot of the walls between the experience of using the software and the experience of trying to get the scene lit the way you want. If you weren't on the first ship to preset island they still gave you control over bloody everything. Transform, with its keyframeless design, seems to lend itself more to the "hit play and see what happens" approach. But searching in the goody bag for something neat is different than going into the workshop and building it yourself exactly as you see it in your head...and I'm afraid that that might be more the approach that Transform is naturally geared towards.

I think transform is a really awesome idea and from what I've seen, it can be used for some really cool results. But those results will be of decreasing value to clients who will likely begin to notice the trend that's developing -- the same way that any cool software trick can make a neat-but-easy technique seem overdone (Big red buttons in banner ads and shape tweens in flash animations, anyone?). One of the cool things about your work, generally, is that you endorse the "okay, now roll your own" approach to doing things. To your credit as an educator, I think that's rad. The goal of a teacher should be to encourage the student's growth, even if that might come at the expense of his or her immediate results. In the long run, learning will propel you to greater heights than taking shortcuts. For that reason, I feel as though the business end of selling cool plugins is at odds with the GSG brand's tutorial side. Transform might be very attractive to your less-experienced customer base, but that may be because of its gleam and appearance as an "easy button" for things above their skill level with the normal tools.

In here somewhere, of course, I should mention that nearly all of C4D's mograph module is a form of this "easy button," but I'll defend my statements by also noting that the mograph module as a toolset is extremely flexible and multipurpose. I haven't seen the Transform interface quite yet, but from the way its been marketed I'm fairly certain that people will open it up with some solid expectations of what can come out of it. That's really the main danger here, in my mind.

These are, of course, only my thoughts, and anyone is welcome to disagree. Just thought it'd be worth speaking up here, seeing as to how you're already listening.

Edited by SFBurning