Sign in to follow this  
mgrvsh

Are we done with this yet?

Guest Sao_Bento

If they come this way, they'll get easily sidetracked - Black Magic Design is right up the street. While they lay siege there, I'll kayak my way out through the bay.

Watch out, Sao. They will find you. They will hunt you while you sleep.

Philosophy time: Would it be fair to say that ANY art that is different enough not to have at least one toe in the current trendy waters is unlikable? Think about great art through history. A lot of it is genius but if someone dropped some of that art now , would anyone like it? And what if one created something so advanced it no longer had any way it could be a derivative of anything current or past, would it just seem to suck? Or would people say, "Wow, holy shit, that shit is so advanced, I don't know what to make of it, but I like it". i.e. does art need current context to be understood and enjoyed?

along those line.. I still dont get jackson pollock's art.. even after the movie..

i think like with pollock, especially in that time, you're buying a narrative and buying into the creator as well. what working in somewhat derivative territory does is weaken some of that originality position where you have to sell yourself a little more to make up, or come with something novel in that well worn style. pollock was doing "new" stuff so he could stand out more maybe at first. now try doing that shit.

but thats the thing, flexing technique is often a sure way to date your stuff. thats why lots of whats on vimeo feels like watching someone else work out.

Guest Sao_Bento

Thank goodness you found this bastion of critical thinking :).

Oh, a few. Me and the Red community don't mix well :)