Sign in to follow this  
TommyTronic

Good cities for Motion Designers

I am soon moving to Seattle to nudge my way further into the industry the best I can, with a little help... I know that there is a lot of activity there, but what other cities are hubs for motion design?

Is there a Motion Design Mecca?

I would say .....

LA, NY, Atlanta, Seattle, Miami, Chicago (in order of ... size?)

I'm in Seattle, but there is a lot of very different motion work up here compared to the NY or Atlanta scene. LA is in a whole different league of animation in general.

I would guess, in order of industry size (within the US):

LA, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, and Seattle(??). I actually don't know anything about the Seattle scene.

If you don't mind being industry-specific, there is also Detroit (automotive), Kansas City (telecom), Houston / Austin (automotive / medical). Thats just my personal interpretation though, so take that with a grain of salt.

My guess of absolute "meccas" of production in general would be:

Los Angeles, NYC, London, Vancouver, Sydney

I'd guess its a toss-up between LA and NYC for the world crown.

What industry are you drawn to? Advertising? Theatrical? Promo? Corporate? Does industry matter to you or are you simply going fishing for available opportunities?

Edited by AromaKat

Right now I am simply trying to fit in anywhere that I can learn a lot... I think once I hone my skills more and more over the next several years I will have a more accurate view of what I should be doing... Just starting out though... Just wanna be around really good Motion Designers all the time and soak up as much knowledge and influence that I can.

Just wanna be around really good Motion Designers all the time and soak up as much knowledge and influence that I can.

NYC AE meetup group is worth the visit. I used to road-trip up there from Baltimore with a couple of classmates, it was awesome!

I imagine the LA and Chicago meetup groups are pretty awesome but I've only seen podcasts or read about them ... which brings up an interesting topic:

how much documentation do we have of all the little mograph pockets out there? that would make a fun video; seeing all the studios in cities 'cross the world

Avoid Sydney, low wages, high cost of living.

The cost of living was insanely high, but rates were competitive with what I've been payed in other major cities.

I think it just depends on the shop you work at, though the higher end boutiques are few and far between.

As for Vancouver, I wouldn't put it on that list if you're after working strictly in mograph. It's more of a VFX town, and just like sydney, the cost of living is stupidly high.

Culver City should also be listed as a major area.

Marina Del Ray and Glendale seem to be picking up a bit.

If your open-minded enough and in dire times, there is always Chatsworth too. :P

Not Winnipeg, MB, Canada... Low cost of living, but this is the kind of price people are willing to pay.

http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?k=Job&c=qR69VfwL&j=ofxiWfwK&s=Indeed

I especially how they want you to have all your own gear, including sound gear. Yet they expect to pay $250/video shooting & editing. I want to email them a slap in the face. I guess I'll be moving within the next year or so.

All the major US hubs seem to be covered, but what about international?

London and Toronto seem to rival NY/LA in amount of work.

Sao Paolo has tons of studios and tons of great work

There's also a few up-and-comers it looks like:

-- Barcelona and Buenos Aires each have at least 6 or 7 great places

Anybody know about Tokyo?

Seems like they would have one of the largest appetites for motion graphics

Edited by krpdesign

Not Winnipeg, MB, Canada... Low cost of living, but this is the kind of price people are willing to pay. http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?k=Job&c=qR69VfwL&j=ofxiWfwK&s=Indeed I especially how they want you to have all your own gear, including sound gear. Yet they expect to pay $250/video shooting & editing. I want to email them a slap in the face. I guess I'll be moving within the next year or so.

I'm convinced that everyone in Winnipeg has stockholm syndrome. There's some great stuff coming out of there -- most notably the indie gaming scene -- but it's mostly people pushed to do interesting and creative things because if they don't they would literally die.

Tokyo is only valid if you can speak japanese, they are worse than the french in that regard.

Melbourne is cheaper than sydney, but everything closes at like 6, didnt even have late night shopping on thursdays when i was there. Also outside the CBD and docklands, its all just suburbs, which is pretty depressing.

re: Sydney Rates, all i can say is that the minimum rates for people who know how to use AE in NYC are 20% higher than the rates of people who are well versed with cinema4d in sydney. And then dont forget to factor in the taxes...

tokyo!

haha, well tokyo might sound cool, and there may be a few decent paying but fairly conventional jobs art directing at japanese branches of major international corporations but...

its a long story, and there are a few people here doing well, mainly japanese nationals. the language and culture barriers are for real. i'm doing ok, but pay and design styles and work styles / client relations are different. i'm here with my wife who wnts to be by a sick fam member, so thats mainly why we remain. its only been a yr but i'm def thinking hard about getting back to west coast living at some point.

definitely visit japan though, its a trippy place. just not super ideal or comfortable to work in unless its an international company or you reaaaaaaaally "love" japanese culture and want a high dose of it by living/working here.

that said, i had no trouble finding work right away. its just hard to pull away from 50k/yr here as staff (i've just double dipped like a mofo but almost lost my will to turn on a computer in the process) , and a lot of people hover more around 25-40k, and the cost of living isnt cheap hehe

thats all i can say without saying too much. you're on the right track thinking of ways to expand your life experience with your portable design skills

I have clients from sydney that pay well too. But they are remote clients. They are organized and they know what they are doing. The local companies who hire people in studio are generally not like that.

Also since its a desirable place to live, a lot of the studios hire foreigners for minimum wage in exchange for visa sponsorship.

But hey maybe i as just unlucky. I don't know.

On the topic of Seattle, how is it? I don't seem to see much in terms of commercial post production companies. Microsoft is obviously a big draw in that area, but what is the business like outside of the software world?

**Also since its a desirable place to live, a lot of the studios hire foreigners for minimum wage in exchange for visa sponsorship.

This is interesting and something i wanted to avoid.

In Austrailia i'll be testing the water so to speak. I have sponsership If i want to stay there for good but i want to see what its like. Work/life balance. Ive been to Oz a few times but as a tourist its always different.

Thanks for the replies to my Oz question though :)

not a fan of NY. Came here from LA a while back, and never got over the low class treatment of designers.

In LA, companies generally respect designers as professionals. Not so in NY.

Let me give you just one example.

In LA, when a company calls to ask availability, and you tell them you can work, you are immediately brought in on the job.

In NY, they'll call to ask availability, then you'll never hear from them again.

This is because they've called 20 designers, to then pick the one they want.

This is just one example, and certainly not the worst.

On the topic of Seattle, how is it? I don't seem to see much in terms of commercial post production companies. Microsoft is obviously a big draw in that area, but what is the business like outside of the software world?

it is software world! Lol, jk, there is Digital Kitchen and Superfad, but aside from that it's all still growing, which is pretty cool too.

I'm in software related animation, so I'm not totally up on the post stuff