Sign in to follow this  
throb36

The most layers in a single After Effects Composition?

What's the most number of layers you've ever had in a single After Effects Composition?

Does AE have a limit on this?

Biggest AE file size?

Longest render time (not including CS6)?

Just curious...

Most layers? Maybe around 1000.

Biggest AE file size? The AE file for the shot I'm currently working on is 40mb, which is pretty high for me... but I'm sure I could make it larger if I tried. It's not even that complicated.

Longest render time? Probably ~24 hours for ~4000 frames. I ended up splitting it across multiple machines, though.

I had a 700+ layer once. That was just in the main comp as well. The precomps were nutso.

File size? I've worked on unreduced projects that pushed half a gig and up. BGrender took forever to load that up everytime.

As for longest render, I pushed out an 8 minute video and it took somewhere between 30-36 hours to do it. Makes my brain hurt just remembering it.

Currently working on a 2 minute spot for the US DOD @ 3892x800.

Like Ians', it's one video, but its being projected on a custom screen 10 feet high and about 50 feet wide.

Only 600 layers at the moment, but I'm only half-way done....so, who knows.

Current asset file size is 47 gigs, footage, stills, frame sequences & audio tracks etc.

Longest render time was about a week for a 360° Animation at 20k

Biggest file size about 80mb

Layer count? Don't know - in projects with a lot of layers i usually precomp (and prerender proxys) a lot.

regarding maximum in After Effects:

Because of a limitation in how the Timeline panel is drawn, if you have more than ~1,700 layers in a composition, they won't be drawn correctly in the Timeline panel---i.e., the panel will have garbage or blank areas. This is a bug, but it's an oddly heinous one to fix. So, precompose to stay below 1,700 layers.

I don't remember what the most amount of layers I've ever had were, but the largest file I had was around 200 megs (it was a master file with a bunch of 80 meg files imported into it). The longest render I've had was 6 hours (not the same file).

Playback is non-existent... Working in CS4, I worked on a project that hit 1000+ layers. Even with proxies in place of giant intricate drawings, we had problems up the wazoo.