Sign in to follow this  
AromaKat

Can't write QT to a particular hard drive

Very odd problem....

QT 7.7.2

Windows 7 Pro

CS6 (don't think its related)

Apparently I can't write any type of quicktime file to my main RAID 1 work array. AVIs, MP4s, anything else works fine. Exports to QT also work fine when outputting to my RAID 0 media array.

When I try exporting / creating a QT to my RAID 1 array, I get the error:

After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file "W:\blah\blah\blah\something.mov". Unable to open file. (-1610153459)

The reason I doubt it is Adobe related is because when I even try to do an export / transcode from QT pro it fails. In this case I don't get any type of error message. It just finishes really fast and no file is created. However, if I add content to a QT then save, it saves fine.

Apple apparently doesn't do the support thing.... Especially for the PC. I can only find FAQs, etc on their support site. Nothing comes up for the AE error code when looking, and I found a few others with similar problems on Creative Cow but without any answers.

I know this isn't the best place for this question, but am hoping someone may have experienced this before with a solution.

How deep/long in characters is your directory path (W:\blah\blah\blah\) that you're trying to write to?

Can you write directly to the root of the partition in question?

is it bigger then 2 gbs? we have problems writing to our raid with files that are bigger then 2 gigs. i have to save locally then copy over. But it probably isn't the same issue. Are you outputting this at prorez or anything compressed? i have way more trouble with uncompressed

None of the above.

Its a 2 TB raid 1 array made of two drives. I have them software raided through windows because it gave better speeds than going through the hardware / motherboard method.

No matter what size, codec, duration, location on the drive, etc - if it has a .mov extension it just won't write. However, I can export a .wav, aif, etc without issue. This is from within AE as well as within QT pro itself.

I tried on the root, in directories, checked permissions, etc etc. If I try to export to my media array ( raid 0 across 3 1tb drives), system disk, or software cache SSD there is no issue.

The only thing I can think of is that its for whatever reason due to the Windows software raid 1. My next attempt at solving the issue was going to be re-mirroring it through the bios rather than through the OS

I am too now having this issue.

Render crashes at a random place after frame 500.

Writing to a RAID 0 (3TB).

AromaKat, did you ever solve your issue?

Edited by KGB

Nope, never was resolved but it was duplicated (not on purpose) on a second machine.

The only thing I can think to blame it on is the Windows controlled Raid 1.

Are you using software or hardware-level raid? It works fine on my RAID 0 array but its hardware-controlled.

Hardware RAID.

I'm wondering if it is the media(provided by client) referenced by the AE project. Earlier on, it would randomly tell me it can't read a file, but that error disappeared. Now this is happening.

I ended up solving the issue by either rendering with 1 or 2 cores, more than that seems to have the error pop up. I wonder if the disk can't keep up with the cores some how...dunno.