Sign in to follow this  
akoncelik

Alyssa's 2012 Reel

Hey Alyssa,

First of all, you have some good work in there. The problem is that it is being diluted by work that isn't as good. I would start by cutting your reel by half and only show your strongest work. That'll also help keep the pacing up and keep it exciting. Try not to repeat anything unless it's showing us something new. I'm sure someone more competent at cutting reels will chime in, but maybe this will get you started.

R

The most glaring thing right off the bat is your intro. Your intro should never be trying to make up for shortcomings in the rest of the reel, but it's the first thing we see, so it needs to make a good impression. Right now it is one of the weakest pieces in your reel. The animation feels rushed and uninspired and the typography is clunky. If you're going to use lowercase letters, don't track out the letter spacing. Give it some love, spend some time on it.

Definitely cut it in half, shouldn't be longer than one minute. When deciding which pieces are strongest, also bear in mind what kind of work you want to be doing. If you don't get excited about 2.5D website fly throughs, leave them off.

Some smaller issues: You don't need 15 seconds of outro. You don't even really need an outro at all. You should consider updating your Vimeo page, and having an easily accessible website with your contact info/cv and a handful of other projects on it.

edit: I would definitely cut 00:23-00:30 and the shot at 00:52, but ultimately you should be the one to make these calls. Just start with the constraint of making it one minute long and be as concise as you can in what it communicates.

Edited by Cosmo Ray