Sign in to follow this  
marc_pearson

Marc Pearson - 2012 Motion Design Reel

Marc Pearson - Motion Design Reel 2012

https://vimeo.com/44688380

It is long overdue, and I am sure that there is more that I will want to add to it in the future, but hot off the render is my 2012 Demo Reel! All of the work seen here was done by me using a combination of Adobe Premiere, Adobe AfterEffects and Cinema 4D. Two of the pieces, the NASDAQ video board and the Reuters video board, won Telly Awards in 2011 and ran for two weeks live in Times Square. Some of the work seen in this reel was done by me for Realpage, a software development company based in Carrollton, Texas. I currently work full-time for them as Senior Mulimedia Video Developer. The remaining work was done for my productions company, Footprint Productions.

I hope you enjoy the reel and I welcome feedback, comments and critique. Thanks again for watching and expect much more from me in the future! If you would like to see these and other examples of my work, visit my website at http://www.footprint-productions.com or my portfolio at http://www.marc-pearson.com/portfolio.

Dave started it so I'll elaborate. The work isn't bad but this whole robot arm room thing is really doing a huge disservice to your work for two reasons.

The first is that it is visually distracting. The changing angles and distance from the camera makes it difficult to concentrate on what is really being showcased here (your work). Similarly, the scan line and opacity texturing dilutes the details that we want to see. This would function fine as an intro/outro but let us see the work unhindered.

The second reason is that it seems like you've put more effort into this than anything else on your reel. Obviously you want to start off with a bang, but if that bang is an atomic bomb everything after will look like a fart in the wind. It can also have the adverse side effect of coming off as compensation for a lacking body of work, and this is exaggerated by having it persistently on screen.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I already have a different version in the works. The original plan with the room/robot was, as you mentioned a bit distracting, but I had some time constraints and instead of re-working it...went with the work I had already put into it. I agree that it works best as an intro piece and there will be a version soon to reflect that...because I am not totally happy with it as it sits.

As for the work presented, I work full-time for a somewhat conservative company, so much of what I do gets "dialed back". I am currently building a library of personal projects which will grow exponentially as time passes. As for the environment being a template...nope, all modeled and animated by me. Thanks again for the feedback! Certainly appreciated!