Sign in to follow this  
throb36

Element

I'm blown away, honestly. That is a ton(ne) of options and development in one AE plug-in.

MY main question would be: Can the models appear in AE 3D space where they were in their original 3D space from whence they came? Like I loves me some motion graphics, but personally I would use this primarily to give me the 3D features of Nuke for VFX. So if I had an object generated at a certain point in C4D. The dream is to have that object through element be in the exact same place and scale as it was in the 3D app. So I can then remap different textures and such onto it.

OR, if you 3D track a scene in AE (like from it's own new 3D tracker or the Foundry one), can I then use Element as a 3D host to stick an object where a specified null is to add 3D elements to the scene.

I'm assuming my second request is possible, but more curious about the first. Although if it's not, I'm sure you can save out a null where it was in the original 3D scene, then go back and create the object then "re-stick" it to the null from 3D so it's in the OG spot.

Can the models appear in AE 3D space where they were in their original 3D space from whence they came?

Not really. It's an inherent limitation in the file formats used vs. AE's absence of a consistent unit system. There's always some weird scaling or positioning issue somewhere. Exporting an AEC file or similar from C4D and then "parenting" an Element effect with expressions will work, of course, but you may still have to tweak the scaling and orientation...

Mylenium

Right. By default, element normalizes the model sizes to keep objects at a relative size when used in the particle array. However you can disable the normalization and with a little work, find the multiplier so at least you could reuse the scale and just find the position from a NULL. And if you keep your measurements the same, this scale value can be reused. I'm happy to help find the conversion after we launch too.

I'm *still* blown the fuck away honestly. The scope of the one plug-in is immense and full of really smart ways to get things done. As a dude who appreciates packing as much power in the simplest way to use things, I'm having a hard time seeing how this could have been optimized much more than it is already. It's honestly the way a lot of the Mograph module should have been done from a user interaction point of view. This is closer to the way JENNA was in C4D back when it was out.

So, now everyone can commence with all the [insert thing element does easily out of the gate] abuse in every promo piece now jokes :)

Edited by C.Smith

Gotz me another question:

I assume using the 'multi-object' function you can bring in type as a model and use the animation engine on it (interpolating between the 2 groups). As opposed to having each letter be it's own object or on it's own group?

If so, how in the 3D host is that being prepared? As different letters under a group(null)? Or needing separate materials on each with selections but as one mesh?

Hey Chris, The multi-object system was designed just for this. For a title, you would need to separate the charachters into individual objects first. And then export as one mesh. Our text extrusion system does this automatically, so you can use the scatter and displace controls to animate each pieces procedurally. There is also random seed controls etc. Think of it like the watch example it just allows you to animate them in or out.

Here is an explaination of the 2 thing Element converts:

Materials:

Any surface with a differn't material will create a material channel in Element. This is useful for being able to "hide" parts of a single mode or when you need to apply variable textures to an object like metal or glass and the shader controls require major differnces.

Multi-Object:

Any object that is a separate mesh in the same OBJ (or C4D). Any time you want to use the multi-object to animate groups of objects at once.

These two functions are not dependent on each other but can be used together. The multi-object system does not recognize objects based on separate material channels.

I'm so envious of you guys who have been toying with this already in the beta. I can't wait till tomorrow.

Hopefully its released at midnight :)

the product page says itʻll be released at midday tomorrow, iʻm assuming PST. which means i should be able to snag it in the morning my time :)

I've been neglecting my real work and have been playing with it all day. Thanks Andrew, its a great tool and seems like it will definitely enhance the over all 3d workflow.

One question and it might just be my video card glitching out, but can you animate between two multi-object groups with different textures? Ive been able to do this with multiple clone object into another multi clone with different textures, but something like your cracking floor example with different textures turn my display to mush. It has something to do with the animation engine because when I turned it off my display was happy again.

Thanks,

_k.

Yo! Thanks for the reply. Yes you should be able to blend 2 shaders but we have found a bug on some ATI cards with the animation engine that we are working to resolved by next week. We're working really hard to fix compatibility issues and have an update soon. The plug-in also will show you a little link in the UI when there is a new update.

Mr. Kramer,

This plug-in looks rad, but why no demo version?

Because its cheap as shit and what about it could you possibly demo, then go, "meh. nah."?

I think most complaining for demos are actually waiting for a pirated copy.

Because its cheap as shit and what about it could you possibly demo, then go, "meh. nah."?

I think most complaining for demos are actually waiting for a pirated copy.

Gee wiz AromaKat, for one the open GL and how well it is working on my system. Is that a good enough reason for you?

Gee wiz AromaKat, for one the open GL and how well it is working on my system.

Ya, sorry - I often come across a bit dickish but don't mean to. I'm pretty sure the pirating thing is what made him pull demos, at least in the product's infancy.

Seems like its been built with vast support for video cards / open gl and the like. Haven't seen many comments in the product forums regarding poor performance on specific hardware. If it doesn't work its probably time to upgrade hardware.

I agree this is a game changer. surprisingly easy right off the top-layer. Then the deeper you dive it you can see how to compound complext animations with the models you ingest.. Its rather impressive.

So how does the rendering speed compare to a similiar setup in CS6?

I guess I dont understand your question. Element is used in After Effects, I use it in CS6.. rendering is pretty darn fast. but Im sure it all depends on your graphics card. If you're taking using raytrace in CS6. for me its dog slow. the new builtin 3D in CS6 from my understanding need/depends on CUDA nvidia card, which I dont have Ive got a ati 5770 in my mac. So Element = speedy.. Raytrace CS6 Slow.. for me at least.

Edited by rovino

Seems like its been built with vast support for video cards / open gl and the like. Haven't seen many comments in the product forums regarding poor performance on specific hardware. If it doesn't work its probably time to upgrade hardware.

For anyone wondering how well it will work with their system, there's a PDF of supported graphics cards on the VCP site, arranged in categories, to give you an idea of the performance you'll be looking at.

https://www.videocopilot.net/assets/public/misc/GPUs.pdf