Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

Wind Chime Dynamics Questions

I'm trying to learn more about dynamics, and I thought creating a wind chime that reacts to wind would be a good experiment.

I'm currently hung up with spline dynamics though. I've got a loop of spline attached to a block, and I have a chime that I want to hang from that loop. I've got all the dynamics working, except the chime ends up breaking away from the loop. I can't seem to find a way to make it lighter or something so that it stays hooked on the spline. Any ideas? Borrowing from a tutorial I saw a while back, I tried increasing the project's dynamic steps per frame, but no use.

I've included the project here:

http://www.deltawavefx.com/uploads/Chime_Dynamic_test.c4d.zip

I know this isn't a perfect solution, but try adding a spring to your scene, and connect the chime and the cube. You can play with the "Attachment A" and "Attachment B" to offset the spring and set the rest length. You should be able to get a good result this way. I'd upload my file but I'm working with C4D 13, and this file is in v12.

i tried what dave suggested in v12 and it pretty much works....I placed 2 chimes and 2 wind objects with falloff and turbulence to see how well they'd interact and they started slowly rotating all weird like...i set the "follow rotation" on the dynamic body tags of the chimes and they seem to be acting ok. definitely needs some tweaking but here's the file i came up with..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2581164/Chime_Dynamic_test-with%20spring.c4d

Nice attempt at it. I appreciate you guys taking a crack at it. Unfortunately there's not rotation involved, so i'm wondering if adding an up vector to each chime would fix that issue. Deffinitely seems plausible, but I can't help but think there's a solution to the chime falling and ripping through the rope. There has to be something I'm missing in the dynamics... I'll play around with the spring strategy for now though, thanks guys!

back to basics.

You could make the Reeper Object a Collider Object (Dynamic Tag set to Off)

Then set the Collision Shape of both Dynamics Tags to Moving Mesh.

( to make Calculations smoother you could also use Another Object (a simplified version of your Chime with a lot less geometry) instead of that Boolean.)

Or to avoid Dynamics completely, especially since you want no Rotation,

it isn't hard to just constraint the position of your chime to a point of your Spline with a Point Node in an Xpresso Tag.

Point number 15 of your Spline seems to work well.

d

Edited by douwe

back to basics.

Hahahah. That was it. For some reason it just felt like it needed to be more complex than that! One small alteration to your suggestion; when setting the collider object on the chime, also turn on its dynamics so it falls, then it will catch the spline. Works like a charm. Outstanding! Thank you very much for the clarity Douwe.

also turn on its dynamics so it falls, then it will catch the spline.

Of course, that's the whole purpose of using a collider Tag on the Reeper.

Glad it works for you.

Still, since you want no rotation, you don't really need any dynamics.

You will probably get a lot more chimes going if you just constraint the Y-Position of the Chimes to a Spline Point.

(EDIT : btw, somehow Tunng escaped my attention. The tune in your reel just made my afternoon. thx)

Edited by douwe

Hey Dave or Josh, the rig you guys set up with springs seems to visually work better than the collision set up the douwe came up with so it looks like I"ll be going with that (collision bodies seem to screw up after a while of blowing around, and can't seem to fix that). I wanted to know how you would put x rotation back into the chimes? They're connected with a spring at the opening of the chime, so their rotation is locked, and I need them to pivot around the rope when reacting to wind. Do you have an idea for that? Target with an up vector just messed them up. Thanks.

Ok, taking everyone's suggestions into consideration, i've put together 3 separate tests. Test 2 is what I want to happen, Test 1 is what I want with the chime hanging off of the string, and test 3 is a combination of 1 and 2, yielding a similar result to test 1, with this strange invisible wall that it won't pass beyond. Can anyone figure out what the heck is going on here?

http://www.deltawavefx.com/uploads/Chime_Dynamic_test_06.c4d.zip

Side note: I DO have r13, I just happened to start working on this project at home, where I have only r12. Either version is fine though.

Wow that's awesome. I think i was misunderstanding your suggestion. I can follow your xpresso, but I'm not sure how to get Memory working. I assume its taking a specific state of the chime's Pitch, and delaying it based off of what its current rotation is, right? No matter what I do, the chime's Pitch is very rigid like when you have history set to 1, even if I put mine at around 20. Everything else works perfectly though. I'm pretty amazed by how this is working.

Oh, and after messing with it for a little while, I've also realized that the xpresso negates collision with other mograph objects. That won't work for a bunch of chimes that will be periodically hit by the bell in the center.

Edited by dotcommer