Sign in to follow this  
Harry Mitchell

Rotating planes from inside to out?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any insight into how the rotating planes effect could be recreated in this NBA Package : https://vimeo.com/25248644

The effect starts at 6 seconds (it's very short)

I have been playing around with the card dance effect in After Effects but I am not sure if this is the right direction. It could probably be done in Cinema too?

Hope someone can help me out,

Harry.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any insight into how the rotating planes effect could be recreated in this NBA Package : https://vimeo.com/25248644 The effect starts at 6 seconds (it's very short) I have been playing around with the card dance effect in After Effects but I am not sure if this is the right direction. It could probably be done in Cinema too? Hope someone can help me out, Harry.

You were very close.. I'd say go with card wipe, Instead. That will give you the effect you want and control over the col. and rows. There are some gotchas like making sure you have the right layer in your "back layer" I very much like this wipe. plus you can use a gradient to drive the animation if you wanted to.

Actually I did a tutorial using cardwipe a few months back.. talking about using track mattes but I used the cardwipe as an example.

https://vimeo.com/41633467

Edited by rovino

No problem. It's rather straight forward just play with it & I think you'll see how things click. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Thanks again Rovino, I have been playing around and nearly have exactly what I want apart from one small catch ...

I would like the transition to go from the middle outwards. Under the "Flip Order" drop down there is no option for this. I have tried using the gradient option and have animated a white circle expanding on a black background but that doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas? I'm so close!

On a solid layer add a ramp effect. Make sure it's radial. Have a gradient from b/w starting in the middlle going outward. (you may have to flip-flop white to black) off hand I'm not sure about the shade order.

I don't think you have to animate the gradient it can be still. However make sure you make that solid a precomp after you put the ramp on it. I think that should do it for you.

Then select gradient in "flip order" and choose the precomp layer in "gradient layer". Now just scrub your transition completion from 0 to 100%. You can adjust the fall-off of the wipe with transition width.

Hope that helps.