Sign in to follow this  
mcs

"Mograph Cloner" - like effect in After Effects

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to animate layers in AE in a similar way to Mograph in C4D. Basically, im thinking of an array object, that would duplicate my original precomp, and have some basic animatable features (scale, rotation, position).

So far i've been using Echo for a linear / radial cloning effect, but i think there must be a better way for that.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Csaba

A limited solution could be Trapcode Echospace (wich basicly connects 3D layers via expressions) or in certain cases Card Wipe / Card Dance or Trapcode Form / Particular. But in most cases your best bet will be expressions linked to controller objects - which means a lot of handwork.

I've been hoping for Mograph-like Effectors for Shape Layers since they where implemented. An effector system that is able to affect all sorts of layers would be a huge leap forward for After Effects, just like the introduction of text animators or 3D layers (anybody remember basic text & basic 3d? :wacko: ).

edit: the new Element plug-in from Video Copilot seems to be a bit of a quick and dirty 3D mograph module for AE. Even though it doesn't work with layers but with 3d objects.

Edited by levante

Speaking of shape layers, clever use of the Repeater get some mildy similar functionality to mograph. In fact, I wish that Mograph had the same offset feature as the repeater as you can get some nice effects with that. Now that Adobe has finally made it much easier to convert illustrator files to shaper layers, the shape layers are even more powerful and convenient. That said, as far as I know there is nothing that will really give you the power of Mograph.

What did we do before mograph...! I swear I use that on more or less every project I do....

Thanks for the replies. Wipes can be a solution, i tried card wipes earlier, but they lack that kind of flexibility i'm usually after. Particle systems, on the other hand, are way too compicated for my needs. Funny, i think we'd need something in the middle :) I haven't used repeater yet, gonna check it now.

As for pre-mograph times...yeah i guess we weren't as lazy as nowadays:)

Csaba

Nice link adam. Also, nice script blast frame. Both of those are very useful. Even if I know a lot of the code they are using, it's nice to see different ways to use it. And a script to make it faster.

Though, a particular-like mograph cloner plugin would still be crazy useful, because hundreds of layers with expressions still brings AE to a grinding halt (thank goodness for the coming separation of render/UI threads). Add ways to have different clone groups, effectors, etc. and you'd have a plugin that would probably sell like crazy.

And while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony. :)

Edited by jayfaker

Well, did shape layers ever receive any significant additions after they were introduced in CS3? Nope. There's so much potential there and I must have filed tons of feature requests back then...

Mylenium