Sign in to follow this  
zachb

Jr. Motion Designer Salary in LA? Kind of urgent

Hi guys

I've been lucky enough to make it to a 2nd interview with a very successful LA entertainment marketing/design firm. The first interview was almost an hour, and it was with two of the heads of the design department (who are both very busy people). So I'm feeling very good about this.

I wanted to ask what I can expect salary-wise for a Jr. position like this, in an expensive city like LA. They haven't really talked to me at all about salary, and on the application they handed me recently, they want ME to list the salary range I expect. Only problem is, I have no idea what an appropriate salary is for a Jr. Motion Designer in LA.

Can some of you experienced motion graphics veterans (especially LA-based ones) help a brother out?

Thanks!!

I would say probably anywhere in the range of 30-40k. Though I know of some who've made less and some who've made more. I think it will vary depending on your skills and what you think you are worth. The studio will probably try to talk you down regardless of what you tell them tho.

You will probably want to get a feel for what type of hours you are in for before providing a number, but I would guess 35k-45k is the range they will be expecting you to ask for.

You will probably want to get a feel for what type of hours you are in for before providing a number, but I would guess 35k-45k is the range they will be expecting you to ask for.

I would say this is the correct range as well. All dependent on the work you will be doing there, the type of studio it is, your skills as well as daily hours per day.

I'd say add to all numbers proposed here and commit yourself to filling that salary out with hard work. They'll talk you down if its out of the park, or they won't and you'll accelerate yourself in your career.

Too bad you couldn't have brought it up in the interview. I always ask something like, what is the budget that you have associated with this position? Usually they can give a ballpark of the funds allocated to spend. Without them giving a number first, I'd say 35-50 is a ballpark. If you aim high, just be sure to back it up with reasons why.