Sign in to follow this  
mario5

Google Fiber - Gigabit Internet for $70/month

Guest Sao_Bento

As much as I don't care for Google as a corporate entity, I do like the idea of someone kicking the sh*t out of the cable companies. Time for some competitive price wars!!!!

This is going to take for....ev.....er... to roll out, especially in major metro areas. Pointless to even hope for at this point.

Currently a threat to telcom? Hardly.

Edited by AromaKat

when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I'm all for price wars and such, but this really does smell fishy to me....

I highly doubt that it's somehow "fishy", and it's not too good to be true for quite a few other countries that already have widespread internet access that's cheaper and up to 30x faster than ours. We've lagged, not in small part due to good ol' fashioned lobbying by the gigantic telecoms to keep access to existing networks closed. Google has figured out how to take current technology and get it to homes by cutting the major cost factors, one of them being running the lines to actual houses. They do that by making sure that an entire community commits to the service before they go in at all. So they establish the network all at once, do the labor in bulk, and they build and use their own equipment. All-in-all, they're cutting out middlemen, massively cutting down service calls and labor, and using more up-to-date tech, and in the end, they're making a profit. It'll be great if they don't sit on it forever like google+ until no one remembers it exists.

Guest Sao_Bento

The downfall of monopolies is sloth (insert your own microsoft quip here). In my mind, Google is one of the few companies I would take seriously in sort of venture. In the words of Big Joe Turner - "you're so beautiful, but you've got to die some day".

Also, see this story about how seriously Time Warner takes them -

http://gigaom.com/2012/07/11/whos-afraid-of-google-fiber-time-warner-for-starters/

My trepidation stems from the fact that google has an unprecedented level of access to my personal shit, granted its my own fault for using gmail, but the point still stands. I'd just like to not let them know EVERYTHING about me. Giving them a direct line into my house knowing what I watch in tv along with everything I do online is what I'm worried about. I know they've got their whole "do no evil" thing, but they are a publicly traded company and are a few stock holder meetings away from having a new outlook on their business. This might make me weird conspiracy guy, but I'd just like my personal info to go out to companies because I let it out not because I use their browser/email/ISP. I've read that apple uses the same footprint tracking shenanigans that google does (I use safari) but at least I know apple makes a huge chunk of its profit from hardware sales, so I don't seem to mind as much. This probably makes me stupid. If a different company came along (one that didn't make most of its money on using personal info) with this same service I might not think somethings afoot at the circle k.

edit: this is a beer fueled rant. take that for what you will.

Edited by ianfreeze

Guest Sao_Bento

I wouldn't do business with Google either, but their offering in the market will demand a response that should result in higher bandwidth for less money from all service providers - that's good for everyone.

My trepidation stems from the fact that google has an unprecedented level of access to my personal shit, granted its my own fault for using gmail, but the point still stands. I'd just like to not let them know EVERYTHING about me. Giving them a direct line into my house knowing what I watch in tv along with everything I do online is what I'm worried about. I know they've got their whole "do no evil" thing, but they are a publicly traded company and are a few stock holder meetings away from having a new outlook on their business. This might make me weird conspiracy guy, but I'd just like my personal info to go out to companies because I let it out not because I use their browser/email/ISP. I've read that apple uses the same footprint tracking shenanigans that google does (I use safari) but at least I know apple makes a huge chunk of its profit from hardware sales, so I don't seem to mind as much. This probably makes me stupid. If a different company came along (one that didn't make most of its money on using personal info) with this same service I might not think somethings afoot at the circle k.

edit: this is a beer fueled rant. take that for what you will.

Once fibre is rolled out around the world the price of data per unit will plummet while at the same time the speed rockets. There is nothing inherently expensive about moving data around once the physical connections are in place.

The interesting commercial battles will be fought over content. Who makes it and who distributes it. I can see the big players will have a harder time as the barriers to entry become less expensive.

All good news for us. More content created by more entities means more demand for motion design work.