Sign in to follow this  
xllr8

R14

they added sculpting; I hope the native modeling workflow has improved to warrant excitement over the former.

either way :D.

hope the boss is convinced it's upgrade time, hehehe.

http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview-default/article/maxon-announces-cinema-4d-release-14.html

Some interesting enhancements, but I really could have gone without the sculpting stuff and rather would have liked to see other features. There's plenty of sculpting tools out there to choose from for anyone who needs it...

Mylenium

that Motion Camera system looks suspiciously similar to the demo that CS gave at NAB...

Haha, I was thinking the same exact thing. Maybe they bought the idea from Chris? Wait, I think I remember them saying that his tools were going to be included in R14 at the NAB presentation. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, R14 looks great. I dig the new modeling features with the snapping tool & especially the breaking connectors. Definitely will see more reels with more "breaking" & "destruction", but it's not like we aren't already... The sculpting tools look awesome too, yes we will get a lot of people saying, "We have Zbrush & Mudbox already," (no offense dan_hin) but there is nothing better then not having to leave you're home to do some awesome additive detailed to your models & not have to get confused with having to deal with some technical workflow to export & import normal/displacement/bumpmaps back and forth threw 3D applications, cause we have to do stuff like that all the time as it already is... & don't get me started on getting confused with shortcut keys between different applications.

Edited by jayppeare

IMO the sculpting stuff isn't about sculpting or potential workflow issues associated with using external tools. You have think long-term here and see the bigger picture - deformation/ motion sculpting for animation, dynamics, particles, hair down to mangling conventional motion paths with sculpt tools, general deformation and rigging based on this infrastructure, a new suppixel displacement system that is compatible with other apps... It's actually very straightforward to see once you set your mind to it. While I may not have much need for the current stuff, this may open up some interesting venues in the future if Maxon follow through... Just look at similar tools and plug-ins in modo, Maya, MAX, XSI...

Mylenium

Decent update! They should get PTEX texturing in there though now that they have sculpting. It's silly to have to do UVs on complex organic models when PTEX is so easy and functional.

that Motion Camera system looks suspiciously similar to the demo that CS gave at NAB...

Haha, I was thinking the same exact thing. Maybe they bought the idea from Chris? Wait, I think I remember them saying that his tools were going to be included in R14 at the NAB presentation. I could be wrong though.

Not from me. They are the ScoobyCam cams that have been out for a while apparently. Mine (If I ever get around to finishing them) will be through GSG.

CS_AutoCam and the r14 cams have almost nothing in common except MorphCam from r14 has a cam list that can be re-arranged like AutoCam but outside of that they are totally different. It's other mode between 2 cams looks closer to the old CS_EasyCam. CS_Autocam (I previewed at NAB) is a complete keyframeless animation system that changes camera path shape and timings automatically based on velocity and the needs of the shot as a whole to always balance the speed and timings no matter what you ask of it. Basically like Auto_tune for camera animation where you look like you always know how to keyframe perfectly no matter how much you try and fuck with it.

But ALAS, mine is only vaporware as of now so it doesn't matter. Still working on it after 2 years now. It's my own Heart of Darkness :(

HOWEVER I have really been enjoying r14. It's fantastic. Absolutely worth getting, especially for the Nuke exchange and multi-layer EXR output which I have begged for. Maxon really listens and they did it well. It's really fast and dialed in with a whole mess of those small features that just makes the whole thing way better. Like I personally will never use that sculpting as I would rather remove my kidneys rather than model anything, but the rest of r14 is stunning (to use a Gorden Ramsey term).

I've only been playing with r14 for a bit, but I'm loving the camera stuff, and find the modeling a fun and useful addition so far. The commander is a great addition too - like Quicksilver built into the program.