Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

is this done by project mapping?

At the end of the day they are doing ye olden trick of taking a photograph, breaking it into chunks and putting it in different planes of space to justify a camera move. So the classic way is to break it in PS layers and fill in all the gaps you made separating objects. So here is where you can do it quick and easy and put those layers on flat planes and see what you can get away with. OR if you feel you want more detailed geometry than flat planes to project it on, then yes use projection mapping and some basic modeling. If it was a still taken from a moving shot with real parallax you can camera track the full shot so the computer knows where all the data was in the real world. Use these points to create a point cloud from your track data and use it as a guide to create the geo in the scene to project onto. Then obviously just use a single frame from it. If it was a still photo from the beginning, I would use a photomatch plug-in or the new one in C4D r14 so you get the lens right. Then project your layers from the matched camera and start assigning individual layers to individual objects with different materials, but all with the matched camera as the projection source. Then start modeling by eye until the projections look like they are correctly projecting onto your geo. Rinse and repeat for enough objects until your scene is built. For the very last layer for the deep BG. It may be easier to do your final cam animation then back in AE with that cam data just use Trapcode Horizon to do the very back layer. Then with that tracked camera in AE add the breath and snow and stuff with Particular.

Guest Sao_Bento

That's some SIGGRAPH level patience training right there.

At the end of the day they are doing ye olden trick of taking a photograph, breaking it into chunks and putting it in different planes of space to justify a camera move. So the classic way is to break it in PS layers and fill in all the gaps you made separating objects...

At the end of the day they are doing ye olden trick of taking a photograph, breaking it into chunks and putting it in different planes of space to justify a camera move.

You think they could really do it that way? That second shot, if you look at the helmet, it really changes perspective. I mean, if they did do it the way you describe, that's some amazing work. Charlie Co. is pretty good, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

--

After about 15 views of just that 2nd shot, I think you may be right. That's really amazing work.

Edited by medialark