Sign in to follow this  
3D4D

What's Your Best Advice for Moving Molecules

Hi All, I am seeking some advice from the experts about how make a molecule animation like this: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-11337549-molecular-structures-on-blue-background.php?st=9628d83.

I would like to make a couple molecule objects and clone them. Then have them move in the same manner randomly rotating at different speeds. My mograph understanding is somewhat limited but growing. Also any tips on great (real looking) glass woud be terrific as well.

Do you use tracers? Or is there a better way?

Use a plain effector with the Cloner object.

Check the rotation, position, and/or scale options to taste in the effector settings. You can drop two or more molecules in the Cloner Object as well. Then add a dynamics tag to make them come alive.

Of course, theres a Thinking Particles way of going about it but that is probably out of your league right now.

As for glass, it's a matter of giving a material transperancy, adding refraction, and giving the scene a good HDR in a Sky Ojbect to use for reflections.

You can also use a standard old particle emitter, drop your "molecules" in it, and use forces to manipulate how the molecules fly about. good luck

Edited by Mograph Candy

I agree with @Mograph Candy, it looks like a particle emitter (with a couple of molecule instances) with some wind and turbulence "effectors" will make that pretty easily. Modynamics might be a little overkill since they don't seem to interact

~Florio

I much appreciate the help gents. I am an old lightwave guy from 10-15 years ago and am excited to finally be getting back into 3D. It's amazing how much has changed - for the better :)