Sign in to follow this  
rotoman

Low Poly Halloween Animation

Started experimenting with some low poly animations for a Halloween motion graphic piece that would wrap around an entire store, about 56,000+ pixels wide. So far I'm really enjoying the style and look of the low poly effect. Thoughts?

low-poly-monster-520.jpg

low-poly-sheep-ufo-3.jpg

I posted more images and motion examples here.

i wish was more movement through out. maybe the trees move just a little, and sheep move? something to stay in motion through out so you want to look at the entire frame not just one section. love the look though

I really dig the style but agree with the more movement comment. I dont think it needs to be as literal as the character moving around more but I think it could be very beneficial to the piece is if the background color was in constant change. It can still be very slow and subtle, even something as simple as simulating the changing color of the sky throughout the day. I think this will really give a sense of time to the piece while still keeping it simple and clean.

Great work!

I Finished working on a low poly opening last week and generally I have to say they are easier to light and really fun to build and add details to ,

In my light setup I used a big sphere with a light pink color just for lights to bounce off in GI as well as an overhead softbox to add some soft shadows (Although I don't remember the logic in that anymore) and a hard light with hard shadows I placed as a child of the camera with a slight offset .

In the first piece, the monster walking felt a little 'sliddey' to me. I did like the feeling of weight with his walk. The slow movement of the clouds was nice. Maybe a little movement of the environment reacting to his walk?

Second piece open was really nice. I the UFO's path was a little too direct. Maybe a little curve in the trajectory and some ease in the animation in general.

Really like the look.

-gl