Sign in to follow this  
flappymouse

Advice: Motion Graphics

Hey guys,

I am very new to this, hence I am just going to put it out there..

I am doing a course in VFX and 3D animation, which includes maya, nuke, boujou, after effects (keying, roto, tracking etc) but not many plug-ins usage... Optical flares, Trapcode is stuff i learnt on my own.. Now my course is coming to an end and they have recently introduced motion graphics as a 3 month course for an additional amount to be paid.. I am still in the making of my demo reel though just with the knowledge of keying and tracking I wouldn't land a job I want...

My main concern is do I need to do this course to learn motion graphics... or will I be able to learn cinema 4D and other tools by myself...? I mean, I do not have a starter point... Also what other plug-ins do I need to go through to learn motion graphics and where do I start from?

Secondly, What kind of a job am I looking at if I want to work majorly with motion graphics?

Any advice or guidance is welcome... I hope you guys can help me out here...

Thanks,

Saaniya

Edited by flappymouse

I'm not going to advocate NOT learning anything. However, I think you may be leaning way too heavily on software fundamentals and not the dicipline of story and design which is really what a motion graphics artist is.

A person that excels in motion and design can learn 10 minutes of After Effects and make jaw-dropping work. Conversely, a person that knows software in and out but has no skills in design or story will only add to the background noise of "me too!" stuff on YouTube. Or simply relegate themselves to button-pusher.

To have BOTH skill sets is of course fantastic. But it sounds from your post you may be equating skill of software with skill of being an artist. And the 2 are totally different.

Should you take the motion graphics class? I guess so. Do they teach you the art of design and story? Then sure.

Just to reiterate what Chris has already said. My uni course an interaction and moving image course and was expensive as hell, hardly learned any software there as they were an arty farty school and focused on concepts and ideas. I learned everything to do with software at home. Saying that, if I could of gone back in time, I either wouldn't have gone all together or I would of done an Art/Design history course.

You can make motion graphics with pencil and paper, coloured card and a letraset. On the flipside, it's also creating a series of 24 8-second text based graphics for a client who has no interest in the concept of negative space, taste or restraint.

I would take some time to actually learn what motion graphics is before you embark on an expensive course that might focus on things you have no interest in doing.

Maybe it was my professors at University but I will always say the fundamentals are paramount. I think a class in VFX and 3D animation specifically is a little advanced for someone who is not sure of things. Those two fields are, by the way, extremely different VFX and 3D animation. Depending, I suppose on the type of 3D animation. Some could say vast particle simulations and dynamic 3D rigs are 3D animation, but they jive better with the compositing, keying, coloring and more of the VFX world. Modern character animation would be very different, and probably the most different from VFX and motion graphics, but yet the fundamentals carry some powerful principles like 'follow through','anticipation', etc. And Motion Graphics is a whole different beast that will collide with those worlds frequently, but never exclusively.

I have no idea where you are in your studies but someone once told me about higher education, it's not about the topic you are studying (so long as it is in the ballpark), it's more about who you learn from and how. If you WANT to go to this training program because you met a cool professor or your friends are going then I say GO! by all means go! if it sucks, you fall on your face and you know exactly what to look out for next time. If the whole thing sounds like a scam and you are concerned about money or grades the entire time then DONT GO! stay away, check out a community college or any place where you feel comfortable learning.

I am also going to be a big fan of the rounded education that I'm sure many people don't agree with. By "rounded" I don't mean the two years of elementary spanish my school put students through only to end up at the senior level with a room full of assholes pronouncing "llama" like it was some strange animal. I mean "rounded" more like that my 20th century art history courses were extremely helpful in my ability to communicate artistic ideas, my life drawing courses helped me to storyboard, graphic design for typography, english because digital art software doesn't have a spellcheck, math because it's all math, and a giant school full other people because they are the same kinda best friends and worst enemies that you will have to deal with when you are ready to work.