Sign in to follow this  
Idan91

New computer for motion graphics

I am on the verge of buying a new computer for motion graphics use and I'm in kind of a dilemma.

My budget is around 2500$ and I am not sure whether to buy the 27" iMac, a Mac Pro or a PC.

I've been a PC user pretty much my whole life but after using a friend's Mac I fell in love with the OS and I've also heard the stories about it being better for designers as it utilizes the hardware better than a PC of the same specs.

Can any of you guys help me with that dilemma?

P.S.

I am mainly a C4D, PS and AE user.

Edited by Idan91

I've been a PC user pretty much my whole life but after using a friend's Mac I fell in love with the OS and I've also heard the stories about it being better for designers as it utilizes the hardware better than a PC of the same specs.

This is a lie. If anything, PCs generally have a slight edge over Macs in terms of performance on the same hardware. But that edge tends to be very, very, very slight. Running Windows 7, things also tend to be slightly stabler, especially C4D. That's been our experience, at least.

So, the real question is: if you prefer OSX, how much extra are you willing to pay for it? Depending on the machine, you're paying anywhere from $500 - $1k extra to get a Mac. If that price tag jives with how much you prefer the OS, go for it. Personally, I prefer working in Windows 7 for a variety of reasons, but I understand why people go the Mac route.

(Also, for $2500, you could build one hell of a PC.)

Edited by Aaron Scott

This is a lie. If anything, PCs generally have a slight edge over Macs in terms of performance on the same hardware. But that edge tends to be very, very, very slight. Running Windows 7, things also tend to be slightly stabler, especially C4D. That's been our experience, at least.

So, the real question is: if you prefer OSX, how much extra are you willing to pay for it? Depending on the machine, you're paying anywhere from $500 - $1k extra to get a Mac. If that price tag jives with how much you prefer the OS, go for it. Personally, I prefer working in Windows 7 for a variety of reasons, but I understand why people go the Mac route.

Thanks!

If that's the case I think I'll go for a killer PC.

Totally agree

Just one correction: Not a hell of a PC, but one uber-hell of a PC! Even Dual-CPU + a great SSD (or two) + a great GPU.

And on a side-note: I'm pretty sure Apple will ditch the desktop computers alltogether in a very near future.

I'll 2nd Aaron Scott, I work on a PC at home, which I parted together myself, and at almost every shop I work, I use Macs.

Both platforms have their plus and minuses, but I prefer the Windows environment, being easier on the wallet is just a plus.

Like Aaron said, decide which platform you like to work in first, and go from there.

Wait a little and go with a Mac. I remember many years ago getting that same feeling that you got when you used your friends Mac. I used a PC for a long time before that. At 500 or even 1K extra it is so worth it.

"I'm pretty sure Apple will ditch the desktop computers alltogether in a very near future" <- this is bullshit... Maybe it will be one hell of an uber-hell iMac.... which would be fine with me.

Edited by este.eri

I use a Mac mini at work for flash dev work.

I constantly long to be working on my reliable, fast, 4-year-old PC workstation that doesn't dop wifi connection EVERY SINGLE DAY.

$2500 will buy a really nice machine. I go way overboard, uber-geek style with my builds every time, and $2500 is my budget for the machine I am about to build.

Do not even think of buying a mac pro right now. Its 2-4 year old hardware, depending on the component but you still pay for 'today' prices plus Apple's premium. If you must go mac, wait until they release the new one. Its not even clear there will be a new one.

Make a shared shopping list on Tiger Direct / Newegg and share your build here so everyone can check it out and give you advice.

I have to chime in on this as well. 7-8 years ago I was a PC user building machines.. then a Mac convert and must say that I really love the 12 core 24gig RAM rig I work on day to day now. However, if i was going to buy a new machine or render nodes I think I would have to switch back to PC. The primary reason I was sticking with Mac was the software, so that I did not need to pay to convert licenses. Now people are smarter about that and really help you out with the cross grade. After looking at AromaKats render rig recently I priced something together for a new workstation. For the same price as a 12core top of the line Mac you can literally get 3-4 PC that are more adaptable and damn near as fast if not faster. That would leave you with a workstation and 2-3 render nodes or a super nice vacation or break from work. If you are not technically inclined or just plain old dont feel like wasting time building a machine, just order the parts and find a tech service locally to put it all together for you. While I still love my mac pro tower, I am currently finding less and less reason to stick with them in the long term

<div>

I have to chime in on this as well. 7-8 years ago I was a PC user building machines.. then a Mac convert and must say that I really love the 12 core 24gig RAM rig I work on day to day now. However, if i was going to buy a new machine or render nodes I think I would have to switch back to PC. The primary reason I was sticking with Mac was the software, so that I did not need to pay to convert licenses. Now people are smarter about that and really help you out with the cross grade. After looking at AromaKats render rig recently I priced something together for a new workstation. For the same price as a 12core top of the line Mac you can literally get 3-4 PC that are more adaptable and damn near as fast if not faster. That would leave you with a workstation and 2-3 render nodes or a super nice vacation or break from work. If you are not technically inclined or just plain old dont feel like wasting time building a machine, just order the parts and find a tech service locally to put it all together for you. While I still love my mac pro tower, I am currently finding less and less reason to stick with them in the long term
</div>

<div> </div>

<div>I strongly second this. I loved my macpro when I got it a few years back but now you can kill it with what you can get in a PC. Especially if you are doing a lot of C4D where you want as much raw processor and GPU power as you can get. If you really want a Mac you should probably wait and see if they release a new tower. I still love Macs and the OS and will keep a mac as my personal for fun machine, but when you look at it as something for professional use if I was going to buy a new machine today would have to go PC.</div>

we'll now that NVIDIA has gotten it's shit together we (mac pro users) finally have a super badass video card

http://www.nvidia.co...zsrhbroz2hrnymy

just got announced today so If your pro mac it's something to think about

~Florio

As discussed in other threads, that card is great and all, but overkill if you're not using it to it's fullest potential. Not to mention it'll cost you a pretty penny. Even a top of the line gaming card, i'm willing to bet, will cost half of what that quadro will go for and will most definitely suffice for motion graphic work.

As discussed in other threads, that card is great and all, but overkill if you're not using it to it's fullest potential. Not to mention it'll cost you a pretty penny. Even a top of the line gaming card, i'm willing to bet, will cost half of what that quadro will go for and will most definitely suffice for motion graphic work.

$2,500 (or more) to get CUDA on a mac!?!?!? F that.

$500 for a gtx680 on a PC and your golden.

If you must use Maximus, sure - but I am personally still unclear as to exactly how maximus helps with any of our workflows.

Edited by AromaKat

Hmm. Funny the timing. I just did the $2500 number for a new PC build. I know just what it buys you in terms of performace and capacity:

• Dual 6-core processors,
  • 48gb ram,
  • 8TB total HD space in Raid 1,
  • 256gb boot SSD
  • Nvidia 560ti,
  • Nvidia 520 (for third monitor).

I bought a gtx680 card first, but really, unless I had over 25 million polys in scene (3ds max), I really couldnt tell a performace difference, even then, the difference had to be sought out. PhysX simulations performed remarkably similar as well. I returned it for the 'lower end' card and saved a few hundred.

The price/performace ratio is great these days if you roll your own. If you buy a ready-made machine in the same family as this, You are either getting a stripped down low-end mac or an ok windows machine.

taskman.png

Edited by misanthrope.

Hmm. Funny the timing. I just did the $2500 number for a new PC build. I know just what it buys you in terms of performace and capacity:

• Dual 6-core processors,
  • 48gb ram,
  • 8TB total HD space in Raid 1,
  • 256gb boot SSD
  • Nvidia 560ti,
  • Nvidia 520 (for third monitor).

I bought a gtx680 card first, but really, unless I had over 25 million polys in scene (3ds max), I really couldnt tell a performace difference, even then, the difference had to be sought out. PhysX simulations performed remarkably similar as well. I returned it for the 'lower end' card and saved a few hundred.

What motherboard are you using? RAM?

When we had this exact discussion in that thread from July or whatever, I will say it again: The perfect situation is OSX being supported on PC hardware. To me OSX is definitely worth all the extra money Apple asks for their hardware. But I would rather have PC hardware any day. Cheaper, generally current, almost infinitely more options for a build, etc. But I would rather cut the front of my eyes with a crisp piece of paper than work on Windows. So, alas, I can be stuck being angry at Apple's odd hardware choices and schedules.

But yes, 2 pieces of BS from this thread:

1. Macs are faster

2. Mac Desktops are dead

There will be a Mac Pro in 2013. It will be awesome and great and all that. But not any more awesome than whatever the PC world has or had, only more expensive. But with the one piece of gold that makes it worth it: OSX.

Nice penis computer! 48 gb ram?? how the hell does that even get used??

i have a habit of leaving all apps open. 3ds max will be rendering, while i work in ps/ai/dw

highest load ive seen so far is ~30gb. Given i usually upgrade every 2-4 years, i'm sure ill be feeling a pinch in 2015.

What motherboard are you using? RAM?

supermicro x9dai (no, I wouldnt reccomend it) and 6*8gb kingston non-ecc.

But with the one piece of gold that makes it worth it: OSX.

i feel exactly the same. about windows. i was a mac devotee for years... and then windows 2000 hit. the severe lack of system overhead was amazing, and the ability to fully use alll of my monitors real estate while customizing the desktop just changed my direction in 1 months time.