Sign in to follow this  
Idan91

New computer for motion graphics

New iMacs should be announced this morning. Anyone going to be looking at a speced out 27" inch as either an PC or Mac Pro alternative?

I'll be curious to see. But I will add that I like many got a maxed out 15" retina laptop connected to a 27" thunderbolt when Apple failed to have a new MacPro out. It's not a MacPro for sure and you feel it when heavy rendering or asking too much of the GPU. But other than that, is pretty damn snappy and obviously unlike an iMac goes with you. But Thunderbolt has negated a lot of need for PCI slots. The RAID, Black Magic SDI out, etc all on thunderbolt and that makes the laptop quite a bit sweeter.

Last auto saved: 09:49:44

Has anyone come across a multi-cpu socketed MB that is a solid Hackintosh option? Dual Xeons in other words.

-gl

Just as a note - Thunderbolt nor USB 3 are currently supported on even the newest XEON processors that the rumored Mac pro supposedly will use. They might in the future, but from what I have read its for some reason problematic to marry the two and since XEONs are really server processors, INTEL doesn't have much reason to go through the headache as it wouldn't really be used outside of workstations. There are articles on how the E5s will support USB3 in the future, but no word on thunderbolt. Its actually been a bit maddening trying to find a solid answer on the subject.

I have been shopping around for a dual xeon setup myself. As it stands right now, it looks like if I want a machine that has the standard external connections of the foreseeable future (usb3 / thunderbolt), then I either need to stick with standard desktop i7s or wait to see if Apple does release a mac pro and if said mac pro is enough to keep a server processor update under secret wraps over at INTEL

Edited by AromaKat

Just as a note - Thunderbolt nor USB 3 are currently supported on even the newest XEON processors that the rumored Mac pro supposedly will use.

Wait a sec... just to clarify, the xeon platform doesn't support USB3, or the OS doesnt?

Wait a sec... just to clarify, the xeon platform doesn't support USB3, or the OS doesnt?

xeon.

After looking into it some more, there seems to be some boards that have usb3 + xeon, but still nothing on the thunderbolt front.

Edited by AromaKat

Misanthrope, any oc'ing on those chips? I should really look into that.

I've always just built single CPU setups because buying the right chip and squeezing that extra Ghz(or 2) out of it was so satisfying. Saving money and having a fast chip has always been alluring to me.

Lately, i've been weighing the options of building a stronger workhorse, but still haven't come to a decision yet.

I was thinking either a single 6core (w/hyperthreading) OC'd would be enough, but am toying with the idea of a dual CPU setup.

*one more thing, is it loud?

Edited by oeuf

Misanthrope, any oc'ing on those chips? I should really look into that.

I've always just built single CPU setups because buying the right chip and squeezing that extra Ghz(or 2) out of it was so satisfying. Saving money and having a fast chip has always been alluring to me.

Lately, i've been weighing the options of building a stronger workhorse, but still haven't come to a decision yet.

I was thinking either a single 6core (w/hyperthreading) OC'd would be enough, but am toying with the idea of a dual CPU setup.

*one more thing, is it loud?

hmm. never saw an email notice on this thread. I havent oc'd at all, as after a certain point it just isn't worth the effort/insecurity :D

Once you see this (screencap), and get no real tangible difference in performance when using multiple applications concurrently, it's just not a concern. The modern Xeons essentially 'auto overclock' on their own ('turboboost'), if the power supply and cooling are up to it.

I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's mostly vid card noise. When I have time/energy i'll lookat replacing the cooler, but it just doesnt bother me --it's a very, very low hum in one of these cases

screencap.png