Sign in to follow this  
florio

Mac Pro life questions

Hey Guys and Girls,

I've been running my 1st gen 8 core Mac Pro for a little over 5 years and even though I love my machine I think it's finally hitting the end of it's life.

So my questions are: generally how long can these machines last? I've been a mograph artist for the last 6 years so that machine has taken a beating from long renders and extensive travel to and from set. I can only imagine that it's hitting the end of it's mograph days.

Also I'm not sure if this is normal or I never really noticed it but my machine runs really hot (like 120 degrees easy) ... any thoughts on that?

I have noticed a drop in performance but thats to be expected for wear and tear I guess

Thanks in advance guys

~Florio

my machine runs really hot (like 120 degrees easy)

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CLEAN OUT YOUR FANS. At that temp, your computer is headed to a fiery grave.

Mac Pros tend to hold up quite well. I still have a G5 that's in tip-top shape. Apple goes out of their way to use server-grade stuff in the Pros, so failures tend to be few and far in-between.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CLEAN OUT YOUR FANS.

My fans are actually clean ... it just gets stupid hot really fast

but I think I can make this badboy last until a new mac pro comes out or I finally just break down and build a stupid fast pc

Thanks

~Florio

Maybe there are processes running in the background that are using your CPU all the time.

Open Activity Monitor & sort by CPU% to check your processes:

Mac HD> Utilities >Activity Monitor

Also, open Console to see what your system is doing (under All Messages).

Mac HD> Utilities > Console

Also, run one of these free Antivirus apps:

Bitdefender http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitdefender-virus-scanner/id500154009?mt=12

ClamXav http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clamxav/id430207028?mt=12

iAntivirus http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iantivirus/id523947195?mt=12

Edited by mario5

;) edit: until if a new mac pro comes out

Are you alledging that Tim Cook is bullshitting everyone when he stated there is a Mac Pro on schedule for 2013 release?

Are you alledging that Tim Cook is bullshitting everyone when he stated there is a Mac Pro on schedule for 2013 release?

I saw that but don't think I even see eye to eye with Apple on the definition of Pro anymore, so I take his quote with a grain of salt. Plus, making a pro line wouldn't be a superstar line, possibly bringing the stock down a bit by no longer having everything they do gush with oceans of profits. There isn't much reason for it. If I were an investor, I don't think I'd want them going down that road.

I have to say, although I have been cynical of Apple for a long time here, I love working in OS X and have much fewer freak-out sessions with it. You and I are in-sync with the oasis dreamland of OS X supporting common hardware. Maybe they will come out with the bomb-diggity, but I can't help but be pessimistic after the last 6 years. They might release something with a 'pro' tagline, but I am betting that it won't truly impress anyone that knows hardware. For this long of a wait, it better be damn innovative.

Looking into building a dual-xeon PC has taught me a lot about how thunderbolt, Apple's new golden child, doesn't play nice with xeons. Whether or not the (how many iterations now?) rumored mac pro has enough projected sales to get Intel designing a completely custom xeon for those systems alone is up for debate, but I don't see it. Xeons are data-center, server processors with trimming as much power consumption as possible a top priority, and have no need whatsoever for thunderbolt sitting in a datacenter. Apple is apparently designing their own processors now, so maybe we are in for a complete shocker. Thunderbolt is an Intel product though, not an Apple one, so I guess we have to see how the dust from licensing falls if they do end up using a non-Intel processor.

People hanging on to 4 year old machines with white knuckles after Apple clearly abandoned them in the harshest way possible is just getting under my skin and becoming flat out annoying now. The macbook pro wasn't too impressive either, sorry. A great upgrade from before, but it is definitely no desktop replacement. I know you are using one as a crutch right now, but how can you stick with a company that forces you to that and keep a smile on your face? Lets say that they do come out with a pretty standard upgrade... New Xeons, thunderbolt, a retina monitor, good GTX cards.... So what? Too little, too late. Why the long wait?

I looooooove the mac OS and all, but from a hardware - thus probably software development standpoint, our industry has been relatively stunted the past couple of years because our industry as a whole has just been waiting 4 years with wide eyed hopes and dreams for something from what is now an entirely different company than the one we all fell in love with. It is now the most profitable company in history, and "pro" usage had absolutely nothing to do with that transition but somehow fuels the fire of fans' blind certainty anyway.

I hope with all my might that I am wrong and they come out with a rack-able / stackable xeon machine, thunderbolt or not, that uses all of the 'fabric' interconnected processing technologies Intel has been buying up over the past 2 years so we can build our own little desk-side supercomputers. If that happens, I may again go back to being the Apple fan-boy I used to be if the bad taste they left me with dissipates before I realize I can build the same PC equivalent for half the cost, but those hopes are nowhere to be found in the sea of Apple rumors floating around online that have a 22% accuracy record anyway.

*sorry for the rant guys.

Edited by AromaKat

a client of mine who uses mac pros for editing on Avid had some issues with their machine after about 2-3 years of use. when he contacted apple support, they told him "yeah, thats about the life expectancy." glad to hear others are getting more use out of them.

AromaKat ... I sadly agree with everything you just said. The only real driving point for apple is really os x and even that is starting to take serious turn for the worst. My freelancing computers are still on Snow Leopard and we JUST upgraded to Lion at work.

As far as apple as a company ... I lost love for them after they have pretty much gave the pro user the finger and abandoned the people who made using apple computers cool in the first place. Now I could rant on how they have boned me personally with what they did to shake/fcpx/the mac pro, but everyones gotten the point. I like apple's products because they work and the os is nice but I've worked at plenty of shops that are PC only so I don't really care. I know at the end "if" (I'm not doubting Cook Chris haha) they release a mind shattering mac pro next year it might be too late (at least for me). Aside from the ridiculous price point (5k for a 12 core minimum) and it's lack of "real" ability to expand, I can only imagine what the future holds after that. I think it'll eventually be phased out and we'll be forced to make the jump

C. Smith - I would like a new mac pro and I'm curious to see if apple is really gonna reinvent the desktop computer but I don't really have high hopes

~Florio

Personally, I'm certainly going to wait and see. But I think like a lot of people I'm one chance away from "Boy who cried wolf". If they pull some bullshit one more time, I'm going to try and make peace with Windows and jump.

Software wise, and this may make me in the minority, I never really saw them as "Pro". FCP was always kind fo a shit editor anyways. To me it was "prosumer" at best. So FCP-X is a lateral move from the way I look at it. Shake was certainly "Pro" in it's day, but by time Apple got it, Nuke and Fusion had already kind of beat up Shake anyways leaving it slow and old school. I did a basic composite one day on Nuke and Shake and Nuke was SIGNIFICANTLY faster not to mention it's orders of magnitude more powerful. SO, my point is, I don't get the whining about abandoning the Pro user on a software level as they really didn't ever have much of a foot in that market anyways (like Avid, Flame, Nuke, etc).

But if they start fucking with the Mac Pro, THAT will start to annoy.

I also agree with your points as well Chris,

If they pull some bullshit one more time

Absolutely if they try the same shit they tried last time ... that's game over for me and hello hackintosh or bad ass PC

Software wise, and this may make me in the minority, I never really saw them as "Pro".

Ok my ONLY beef with this is that I used to be a Shake compositor (and I use Nuke now and it's amazing) and at Universal I didn't have access to Nuke. Also AE was still in it's infancy so when they said were aren't developing Shake anymore everyone freaked out. We were gonna be stuck with software that flatout can't handle the workload also at that time Universal was fire happy and they would have just fired all of us and got new Nuke compositors to take our places (that's eventually what happened).

Again if they fuck with it and it's not mind shattering ... I'm out

~Florio

I really don't know what's so special about OS X that you guys really consider spending thousands of $ for it buy restricting yourself to a Mac Pro.

Yes, I was blown away by OSX when I had to work on a Mac Pro the first time in my trainee-ship back in 2005, but why was I so amazed? It didn't lag and had a nice and shiny UI with SHADOWS, frikkin SHADOWS! I love this! <-- That was kind of my opinion.

But now, we have 2012, there is Windows 7/8 and all what once was so new and fresh actually doesn't mean anything anymore. Other mothers have nice UIs and workflow improvements, too. Stuff that was cool and new back in 2005 is standard nowdays and there is really nothing special anymore that differentiates the OSes so much.

Let's be honest:

It's an operating system. It's there to move files over from A to B, review files, search for files and make your computer work.

There is really nothing Windows 7 can't handle as fast as OSX or can't handle at all.

And who cares about boot-up times? I boot up my PC every 2 or 3 weeks, the rest of the time its on stand-by or hybernating.

The only thing I need is a frame, a frame that holds my applications I need to earn money. And there is no difference in the application itself, it is just the frame that's different, and for me it can be as basic as it can as long as its fast, reliable and does the stuff I want from it. You can make the Win7 UI shiny and pretty too, bot how long of your time you actually care about that?

Please tell me one reason why it's so much worth it and I'll prove you wrong, except your reason is "it looks so nice".

Don't restrict yourself to something that really become obsolete in the last years. Yes it was a beast back then, but it has (and it won't) have anything special anymore, that makes it relevant in our times.

Edited by DinoMFX

This is very similar to the why I use an Alexa instead of an Epic or why I used Film for years instead of Varicams. It's not about quoting specs and details. It's about a subjective experience. Red people can quote resolution crap all day that the Alexa doesn't do, but to me the Alexa looks substantially more filmic and that's why I paid almost twice as much for it. That's how I "feel" about Windows. I have a PC with Win 7 on it (I only use it for gaming). I haven't tried 8 though. But just like when I owned a RED and was consistently let down with how their color sciences never solved the look problem of their image, I never feel like Windows ever really gets what a proper experience is. I'm not alone. Many people feel the same way (this was all discussed ad naseum in a thread almost like this one a few months ago).

My feeling about Windows is the same thing about using a Red: If you can't tell the difference then you *should* be using Windows / Red, it's made for you. But again, this is about as highly subjective as anything can get. But that's my point. Discussing specs is pointless when there is a clear experiential difference in using it to many people.

An OS is more than moving files and being a window for apps. It defines an entire philosophy. Every time I interact with Windows I feel like it is nothing but horribly thought out, illogical, frustrating and low rent. Like watching a bad cover band instead of watching the actual band. That's a difference I would pay for. But cannot be described empirically.

@tcastudios: Seriously, duh?? I get the scientology reference but for what reason? If it refers to the "Philosophy" part then yes, this is what Apple likes to spread about their stuff being inspirational and "using Apple is a philosphy" but actually it's nothing special at all.

@C Smith: The time I spend on managing and working with an OS compared to the time I actually work in an application is extremely small. For me its something about 3-5%. I really just don't get why for some this justifies taking an OS over a whole 2nd workstation which you could buy from the money. I'd rather get my renders done faster by a factor of 2 than trying to make this 3-5% a tad better looking.

Edit: Mistakenly confused name with title.

Edited by DinoMFX

I'd rather get my renders done faster by a factor of 2 than trying to make this 3-5% a tad better looking.

And that is why you should be using Windows. Also, it seems you keep mentioning "better looking" as well as being impressed with OSX shadowing when you first tried it. I can't say either of those have ever remotely entered my mind. Maybe that's why you aren't experiencing a diffenece. I could almost give 2 shits what the OS looks like. It's everything else.

If I switched my primary working environment to Windows then I would probably degrade my time with the OS down to less than 3% as well. I am very into a whole computer experience. That's why my Gaming PC is only for gaming and my previous Windows XP machine was ONLY for the AVID DS. On both of those machines I maybe touched Windows .5% of the time.

Please tell me one reason why it's so much worth it and I'll prove you wrong, except your reason is "it looks so nice".

To me OS X is more in-line with the frame analogy you used, whereas Windows is more of an inter-weaved mesh. OS X is more dependable because of this. In OS X, Application A has never fucked with Application B for me. In Windows, updates and new application installs have messed up what used to work perfectly fine. An application feels like a completely self-contained thing on OSX, like a phone app, whereas in Windows a new application install feels more like an expansion of the OS.

I have had PLENTY of scares on Windows, which I eventually was able to track down and remedy within an hour, but have never shared the same experience on OS X. When there is a client over the shoulder or a looming deadline, I feel more assured sitting on a mac.

I do agree with you though. Windows 7 is great, and think it could win anyone over that gives it a real shot, but every now and again I still have (non-critical) WTF moments. I'd rather not, but not so much so to give up all my consumer freedoms by investing in Apple hardware.

Lets not confuse this with an OS debate though. We are power users, and as professionals its kind of our responsibility to be kinda good at whatever it takes to manage a powerful computer to deliver our product as fast as possible. If that means we need to all switch to Linux in the future - so be it.

Software wise, and this may make me in the minority, I never really saw them as "Pro". FCP was always kind fo a shit editor anyways. To me it was "prosumer" at best.

Having switched to Avid about a year ago, I can see where you are coming from but wouldn't go as far as calling FCP a shit editor. Outside of theatrical and high-end commercial, FCP / ProRes dominated the market share to the point where the post-production industry was pretty much locked to being Mac-based, bringing me back to the "giving up our freedoms as consumers" thing.

Just curious... What exactly would keep you on board with the Mac Pro? Processor-wise, the systems are still relatively up to date. An update in processors, video cards, and interface ports would just be keeping their status quot of "its about time" updates, so why sign up for the last four years again?

My feeling about Windows is the same thing about using a Red: If you can't tell the difference then you *should* be using Windows / Red, it's made for you. Every time I interact with Windows I feel like it is nothing but horribly thought out, illogical, frustrating and low rent. Like watching a bad cover band instead of watching the actual band. That's a difference I would pay for.

A bit harsh. In the same tone on the flip-side, it could be said OS X is an OS for dummies. I am a Red hating / Alexa loving PC user, so I don't know what the combo is about there.

The only philosophy difference I see is justification of the investment. To me, its akin to a trucking company deciding between getting with their budget either 7 trucks from Peterbilt that, while more prone to minor tire blow-outs, can be cost-effectively be fixed / upgraded when needed, or 3 trucks from Ducati, a motorcycle company, that happens to have this line of trucks for some weird reason, which do ride nicer with a fancy leather interior, but are rarely updated, and when they are, you have to buy a new fleet of trucks to keep up with the latest speed limits. The driver might be happier with the Ducati truck, but the real obligation is to the owner of the shipment's contents and their interests, who won't be able to tell nor care how their product got to them in the end.

I personally don't want to ever put myself in a position where I have to explain to a client that I could deliver their product faster, but refuse to because that model of truck doesn't come with a leather interior and the cruise control buttons confuse me.

Edited by AromaKat

Just curious... What exactly would keep you on board with the Mac Pro? Processor-wise, the systems are still relatively up to date. An update in processors, video cards, and interface ports would just be keeping their status quot of "its about time" updates, so why sign up for the last four years again?

A bit harsh. In the same tone on the flip-side, it could be said OS X is an OS for dummies. I am a Red hating / Alexa loving PC user, so I don't know what the combo is about there.

First question, again, it's about OSX running on a Mac Pro with Thunderbolt with modern processors and infrastructure. If OSX ran on any PC hardware I would never touch Apple hardware again.

Second point: I'm not saying that they are mutually exclusive (red users should be Windows users). I'm making an analogy to how I *feel* about Windows is akin to how the defense of Red is that is has a Brazillion pixels and shoots raw in a small package. My defense is that none of that means anything to me, but a filmic image which I find more appeasing does and that cannot be argued by quoting numbers. My analogy is that what I like about OSX over Windows is the exact same thing. And like Windows or Red if you don't experience a difference then you should pay less for the cheaper product. I see a difference so I pay more. Maybe you see a difference in the cameras but don't in the OS, so there you go.

If Apple called it quits on Mac Pros forever, I would switch to Windows after seeing how feasible a Linux flavor is first. So then a Mac Pro will be replaced by a Windows machine and be just like my AVID DS Win XP machine. It becomes a workstation and I only use it as an app runner. And I'll still have my OSX laptop for the love of computing. BUT, it would be nice to have continuity between all my computer experiences so I'm not going to abandon the entire concept early because Apple is being dickish and stalling on the Mac Pro.

I'm still on a 2008 MacPro - works as it always did only the original graphics card died a while ago.

A lot of people told me to buy a fast & cheap new PC - but a lot of those guys are also much slower at work than me, so i think i just give them a little head-start until Apple gets its arse up and a new MacPro out next year.

@tcastudios: Seriously, duh?? I get the scientology reference but for what reason? If it refers to the "Philosophy" part then yes, this is what Apple likes to spread about their stuff being inspirational and "using Apple is a philosphy" but actually it's nothing special at all.

1. It's a Christianity reference, not a Scientology reference.

2. He's making a joke about how Apple fans treat the company as a religion. You know, products from God, infallibility, all that.

It's a joke. Carry on.