Sign in to follow this  
florio

Mac Pro life questions

[Disclaimer: Just throwin' some things out there... since this is one of the more interesting threads on mograph in a long while.]

I happen to know for a fact that Chris is a pretty smart guy.

He likes solutions that are clever and efficient... not just because he's a nerd (which he is), but because he understands that efficiency is truly beautiful. He understands that symmetry solves not only an aesthetic problem, but an engineering problem... and the fact that it does both at the same time makes it more than beautiful, it makes it valuable.

Now you guys may have been moved by his words enough to throw on some berets and call everything Art, but I'm here to call shenanigans.

Cheaters don't make CS_Tools.

Guys who are obsessed with making things work properly and consistently make CS_Tools. Chris himself will admit that he is not the best programmer, but he's also the kind of guy that will not be bested by a problem. He'll put 6 hours into the most trivial problem that he wants to solve... a problem that could be cheated in 60 seconds. You want to know why? Because it's so fucking worth it. It feels sooo fucking awesome to come up with a METHOD instead of a cheat. Something that works for you... not just once... but every time, for many problems, for the entire industry. Now I may hear some of you cry that there is a bold difference between programing and animating... and I would say that it only depends where you're standing (to a baker, or a locksmith, or your relatives you're both just web designers anyway).

All this talk about client's emotional responses and such makes me want to barf.

I would venture to guess ZERO of the people on this board joined this industry to make clients happy (although you may tolerate the need to do so). Additionally, ZERO of us are 100% artist. It takes some real technical know-how to compete in this industry and if you didn't have it you would be hipster trustifarian painters in Williamsburg (or working for the government). I don't name my file hierarchies because I am bound by the Gods to do so... I do so because it allows me to be MORE creative inside of C4D. As soon as I come up with a method to find/manipulate 1000s of objects instead of just 10s of objects I've opened the doors to what is possible. Methods are awesome, but the lesson is not to get hung up on them. Cheats are awesome too... but it's the same lesson.

Chris was somewhat dismissive of making things work in a given "spatial reality" and that if you were doing so it was "only for yourself".

I say, "So f'n what?" He made CS_Tools for himself... but look how many people have benefited? How is that bad? How is that selfish? How is that not worth doing? Why not follow the attitude of a musician? Hum a little song the way you like yourself and then share it with the world. Maybe you know music theory... maybe you don't, but neither will matter if you don't like it first.

It may sound as if I have somehow switched my stance to anti-cheaty... which could not be further from the truth.

The thread just became a little to "everything is a lie" mentality and that itself is a lie.

Let order and chaos balance each other out... but don't choose a side.

Always resorting to cheats will get in the exact same place as following the rules all the time.

Use your own wisdom to find the value in both.

with love,

the_Monkey

[EDIT: boo... spelling]

A bit abstract and a lot old (and really fucking weird that it happens to be about Chris and that for some reason I remembered this old thread to begin with). I think this sums up the argument. Some people want a solution that works well AND looks good doing it, some just want to get the job done. If your in the first camp you're used to spending more money and you cant understand why anyone wouldn't spend the extra money to get the the more elegant solution. Vis versa people in the second camp can't see the logic in spending that much more money for something that does the same thing. At then end of the day make a cool thing. No one gives a shit what computer you made it on.

Man, all that did is make me lament how mograph.net used to be awesome with actually good discussions. Somehow in the last year it's just C4D questions and this Mac/PC monthly squabble :(

And yet, here is my dumb ass still involved :(

Oh dear.... Looks like its being interpreted as a classic PC vs Mac war that belongs in that 2003 thread, adding fuel to a fire that didn't before exist.

I was never trying to contribute to a "mine is bigger than yours" debate. It has always been more along the lines of "Get over it man, she left you like, 2 years ago. Move on." which then turned into "Really!?!? You would take her back after she did that to you!?!?"

Man, all that did is make me lament how mograph.net used to be awesome with actually good discussions.

Sorry to disappoint.

Throwing in the towel now. The discussion derailed to a point where I'm somehow an enemy of my respected peers here.... again. :(

Edited by AromaKat

No enemies! looks like your saying the same thing I was trying to say (I failed apparently). The long and short of it is that yes, I would take her back after she did that to me. When something works exactly the way you want it to, its hard to wrap your mind around using anything else. even if it is cheaper and faster.

Maybe foolishness and are optimism two sides of the same coin. I'll find out at the end of next year.

Maybe foolishness and are optimism two sides of the same coin. I'll find out at the end of next year.

I think it's as simple as a bar analogy: Some people want Top Shelf drinks and pay 5x the cost because they taste the difference. Some people want well drinks because it's cheaper and if they don't see the difference then they just think Top Shelf drinkers are idiots. Let me be an idiot.

Both types of people get what they want.

This has nothing to do with you Aroma, our new friend Dino bluntly stated that any reasons we could come up with for preferring OSX could be shown by him to be false. I disagree because it's a subjective experience and if you're quoting features then you're missing the point.

But the bigger question is: Why I feel like an idiot for somehow devolving into a Mac/PC argument from a random poster. I feel low like I banged a hooker. I just lived a cliché teenager forum battle. Who wants to argue PS3 vs Xbox? I need to go be productive, I think it's just a case of the procrastinations instead of programming cuz I'm stuck on something.

Gonna go fuck off on BF3 instead. Carry forth my creative brethren.

Dear god, adding to what Aaron said: clean both hard- & software.

As a former (some time ago, but i sometimes switch it on out of morbid curiosity) Windows-user and PC-builder i can tell you: most computer users, Mac users even more, seem to think that your computer being slow means it's somehow broken or even worse, the 'software is broken'.

Just do a clean install and a defrag. You've got a 8-core machine sitting there, it's not as slow as you might think, productive gains in computing speeds have been rather marginal lately. It will run as new when you're finished.

This shit doesn't just break apart, it's a matter of administration.

:(

I'm still deciding between iMac or PC, hoped this thread would have gotten me further on what to take. It is a hard decision, specially when you can work easily on both operating systems. They both really have their benefits.

Also compatability between the 2 is getting better like harddrives able to operate on both and a lot of people are ditching fcpx, making it easier to switch to PC aswel. Also I noticed here and there that proress has the same story an people are switching towards other codecs.

Its really a matter of taste these days, sadly I can still not decide what I want after a month :(.

Get an iMac. They are better than a PCs in so many levels. :) If I am going to spend all day on a machine. it better be nice to look at with a great operating system. I like design and well designed products. The speed of the machine is not the only thing that makes anyone more productive. I think I am much more efficient that a lot of people on faster PCs.

Man, all that did is make me lament how mograph.net used to be awesome with actually good discussions. Somehow in the last year it's just C4D questions and this Mac/PC monthly squabble :(

And yet, here is my dumb ass still involved :(

I kinda feel bad I started this thread now (even though it evolved into something else) ... but to amend the point I've been on this board for a few years now and I'm grateful to each and everyone of you duder and dudettes. I've learned, developed and genuinely enjoyed talking with you guys about whatever.

So to those who answered my questions, I'm grateful for the help and hopefully I'll be able to help in the future :)

~Florio

I kinda feel bad I started this thread now (even though it evolved into something else) ... but to amend the point I've been on this board for a few years now and I'm grateful to each and everyone of you duder and dudettes. I've learned, developed and genuinely enjoyed talking with you guys about whatever.

So to those who answered my questions, I'm grateful for the help and hopefully I'll be able to help in the future :)

~Florio

PCs SUCK!!!! (I kid)

If only I had a new MacPro, I could actually do great work. I guess I'm stuck with a pencils, paper and a brain.

-gl

That's why Leo DaVinci never got any work done...........oh wait.....:)

my '08 8core is still running well. got an issue with my disk that probably requires a reinstall but otherwise.. i think these things are built to last. assuming we dont have to start doing 4k graphics on a regular basis anytime soon

It was my snarky comment that set the fire. You were just asking a question.

I feel I owe a proper and direct response to your questions

Hey Guys and Girls,

I've been running my 1st gen 8 core Mac Pro for a little over 5 years and even though I love my machine I think it's finally hitting the end of it's life.

So my questions are: generally how long can these machines last? I've been a mograph artist for the last 6 years so that machine has taken a beating from long renders and extensive travel to and from set. I can only imagine that it's hitting the end of it's mograph days.

Also I'm not sure if this is normal or I never really noticed it but my machine runs really hot (like 120 degrees easy) ... any thoughts on that?

I have noticed a drop in performance but thats to be expected for wear and tear I guess

Thanks in advance guys

~Florio

Try running Disk Warrior and all you disk utilities maintenance stuff on your system drive. Also, take it apart as much as you can and spray it out with one or two of those cans of air.

With it still open, turn it on and verify that all fans are still working. Maybe try to locate the source of the heat your experiencing.

I work on a first gen 8 core quite a bit, and don't necessarily feel lagged or anything. Well, I did but after convincing the shop owner to throw 24 gigs of ram in there its never bogged down on me. I do get very unusual errors on it though - but nothing hardware-related.

If all else fails, completely wipe it and reinstall fresh a new OS - NO TIME MACHINE. Time Machine / Windows Recovery are prone to just transferring your problems.

Also, try getting rid of codec packs and things like that, such as perian, if you have them.

GTX cards that are hacked to work in mac pros are available on ebay for reasonable prices. That will likely make you feel a lot better about your machine if you are still rocking a 4-5 year old ATI card.

Edited by AromaKat