Sign in to follow this  
baynoise

Cinema 4d R13 Xrefs

Morning.

I was working on a project awhile back in R13 and used Xrefs in one of the larger scenes. One day I opened up my master file and none of the Xrefs would link up. Luckily I had kicked off final renders the day before but it still bums me out that I can't get back in the file if I needed to.

I managed to relink everything but all of the positions were off which would make recreating the scene pretty painful.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem. If you found a solution. etc.

Cheers.

Well ... my recent experience I did not have this problem but I did have an issue when scaling. I'd open the file back up and my Xrefs were all back to the original size because when you scale them they don't update the attributes. A way around this is link the scale to a slider using xpresso.

Save Project With Assets is the only way to keep 'em sweet afaik. When you re-open the project it would not make sense that the positions are lost, and I'm the king of dodgy xrefs.

That said, when moving, transferring to other workstations, and archiving these projects I have had really irritating recurring issues, the same texture image being 'lost' (even though it's been saved in the project's tex folder a million times) along with the xref files, which were also listed as missing in Project Info and at render time. However, most of the time I was using lennart's steadyBAKE and so my xrefs were special ones with keyframes and stuff. Never had an issue with PSR (except ginormous scale upon first import, hehe), but many other more grotesque issues aside.

Save Project With Assets is the only way to keep 'em sweet afaik. When you re-open the project it would not make sense that the positions are lost, and I'm the king of dodgy xrefs.

I still find that scale data of xrefs even if I Save Project With Assets are messed up.. Do you have a solution for this? Other than expresso value scaling, which I'm certain would work but seems like a long way around

I still find that scale data of xrefs even if I Save Project With Assets are messed up.. Do you have a solution for this? Other than expresso value scaling, which I'm certain would work but seems like a long way around

I created an xRef asset and saved it to my library. You only have to do it once.

I recently had an issue xref'ing multiple instances of an animation rig and all my xpresso userdata disconnected after re-opening the file after save. Had to import for edit on all my instances and manually reconnect all the userdata on all instances. I'll never use xref's again.