Sign in to follow this  
shapirog

A MoGraph challenge... can you figure it out? Baking a Fracture within a Cloner

Hi guys,

Here's my setup:

A dome is built out of "tiles", and each tile is made of 3 objects. I have a plain effector sweeping across the dome so that all of these individual objects fall in place.

In order to clone the tiles across the dome and have the individual objects within each tile react to the effector, I have the objects within a fracture object. So the tile being cloned is the fracture object.

Now I have a delay (with Spring) on the fracture object so the animation flows a little bit better.

I want to put this into Net Render, but because of the delay object, each computer renders it differently. So I would like to bake the delay object but cannot figure out how.

When I bake the fracture object, the cache tag stays red. If I bake the cloner, it doesn't bake the delay object. Anyone know what to do?

fmlYh.png

Edited by shapirog

Looking at your setup I can already tell you're in over your head. For one, look at your hierarchy. It's wrong.

Second, there are better ways to clone something than to throw it in a fracture object as a child of a cloner. You don't have 1000 different pieces, you have 3.

Third, pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it. This is basic stuff my friend, and if you can't figure it out yourself it's probable you'll continue to struggle in the future.

"tis better to teach a man to fish, than to give him a fish" - Aristotle 3200 BCE

Hi killkillayo,

Ok, how can I clone this "tile" so that the objects within it react to the effector? Without the fracture object, the tiles come in as whole pieces, as opposed to the individual objects within reacting.

Also perhaps I should explain the odd hierarchy a bit.

The wrap is what is making the flat cloner object into a dome shape. That is why it is within a null with the cloner.

Inside the cloner is an extra null to clone because it is cloning in a "brick" style pattern. They are hexagons.

Let me know if there is anything that is clearly incorrect, or any way to make it more efficient. Thanks.

Hi killkillayo,

Ok, how can I clone this "tile" so that the objects within it react to the effector? Without the fracture object, the tiles come in as whole pieces, as opposed to the individual objects within reacting.

Inher Effe with fallo. That will replace your cache tag, your plain effector, and possibly your delay effector, depending on how you set things up. And you won't have a mograph object within a mograph object being effected. That can cause problems. Read the manual.

There is a gem hidden here.

And rather than deforming the entire cloner with a null and your fracture, which can cause bending of the individual objects, why not create a dome poly, offset each row of polys by the radius of your hexagon, and set the cloner to object vertex? that way your normals are pointed in the right direction.

Or use an xref with your baked effector.

Edited by killkillakillyo

Hi Killkillyokilla,

Thanks for the advice. I was doing a lot of experimenting with getting the dome to look right but since it is hexagons it never lines up perfectly when I clone it to a surface. I tried running through all of the different sphere layouts but none of them worked perfectly since a sphere cannot actually be built out of perfect hexagons, it needs some pentagons as well (like a soccer ball). So deforming it and having a little bit of bending is what's working best for me right now.

As for Inheritance effector, could you explain what you mean? I thought that was used to take the properties from another object, like when you want to use dynamics for a high-poly object, but use an inheritance effector on a low poly object with dynamics so its less processor intensive.

Im absolutely open to taking a different approach to what I have but I don't fully understand what you mean.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I got one step further... Taking the fracture out of that null (I have no clue why it was in a null) makes it so I can bake everything. The problem now is that the baked version is extremely exaggerated. Even when I bake it without the delay effector, all of the movements are maybe 2 or 3 times the distance that they should be. Any ideas? I have a feeling it has something to do with the wrap.. Maybe the clones are animating, THEN being wrapped, as opposed to reacting in the global space after the wrap? Not sure but I am still tinkering. But if anyone has any guesses I would appreciate it greatly!