Sign in to follow this  
Zickar

Multipasses in Vray for C4D

Does anyone know how can I render multipasses in Vray for C4D ? I realize there's a whole multipass tab in Vray with tons of check marks and such but they never render out ,even buffers don't render out ... Any help ?

You have to check on Post Process in the standard Multipass area, then they'll render. A word of caution - I have never gotten object buffers to work from Vray. They do some odd things, but maybe it's just me. Everything else works great though. Also, I found that making a simple xpresso setup using two nulls and calculating their distance from the camera and piping them into the Near and Far Zdepth Buffer works really well for Depth passes.

Oh, also, one things I found is that when you check on Post Process in the standard area it tends to double your gamma for some reason, so you'll likely have to do some adjusting once that's checked on. Make sure to turn off Linear Workflow for C4D. That'll also double your gamma and then you've got a big mess.

You have to check on Post Process in the standard Multipass area, then they'll render. A word of caution - I have never gotten object buffers to work from Vray. They do some odd things, but maybe it's just me. Everything else works great though. Also, I found that making a simple xpresso setup using two nulls and calculating their distance from the camera and piping them into the Near and Far Zdepth Buffer works really well for Depth passes.

Could you be more clearer , because I couldn't find it .. do you mean the post effects ? its the only thing I could find ...

As for the depth I'm starting to get some Ok results with the zdepth ... its actually the only pass I'm able to render but I'm just experimenting at this moment and its not very accurate

Never mind it is actually the post effects I guess .. because tried it and it works ....

as for object buffers .. do you think the ID matte can be used to separate objects in a similar way ?

Yeah and the object buffers now work fine using the Render ID checkbox but I also tried giving the metrials different ID Colors and rendering them out and it renders out fine except at the moment all of them are at the same layer so its not very helpful

Sorry, yeah Post Effects is what I meant. I didn't have C4D in front of me to check. You might try using the Material ID pass. The problem with Object Buffers, Material ID, etc. is that they don't take AA into account so you'll get some jagged edges.

I always had this strange problem with object buffers in Vray where all previous frames were added on top of the current frame so frame 3 would be a combination of frame 2 and frame 1, etc. But if you got them to work then that's awesome! I'll have to go see if there's an update I missed.

No problem, glad to help. It was similar things that kept me away from Vray as well, but now I use it almost daily. It's a pretty fantastic render engine once you get past a couple idiosyncrasies. Good luck!

R

The only way you can get mattes from VrayForC4D is to use the Material ID Pass.

In each of your objects, you can assign a "MTL ID" color. It's the best you can do for now.

Stefan on the VrayforC4D Forums has said that the new vray multipass system will be supported with the next update. That will give you true Object buffers like currently exists in Advanced Renderer.

(preview here)

http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/showthread.php?t=11298

Hi guys,

I found this thread while looking for an answer to Zickar problem. As I can't find anything precise anywhere, I just tried and tried.

Good thing though, I found a setup that seems to work.. at least for me!

Enjoy!

VRAY for C4D R13

- Vray render settings on the left

- tags setup on the right

* don't forget to check multipass from native C4D render setting + post effect and as many Object Buffers than you need.

VRAY_object_buffer.jpg

The only downer is that it doubles your gamma.. Other than photoshop I didn't find anything to resolve this!

Just found another problem, when halving the gamma, for some reason the aa degrades on the final image. My solution is to set up 2 different render settings, 1 for the beauty pass with multi pass switched off, and one for multipass. You can speed up the multipass render by reducing the GI settings and removing any settings you wont need passes for such as reflections and shadows. Works for me. P.