Sign in to follow this  
destro

5D mark III gets uncompressed HDMI out - firmware upgrade

Guest Sao_Bento

April release date gives you plenty of time to start saving up for an uncompressed recording device. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be an April 1st joke.

When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera’s HDMI terminal.

hmmm. sounds very cool, but whats the point of recording uncompressed 8 bit (whereas BMCC et al give you 12 bit)? Are you getting a feed right off the sensor? Will you get more dynamic range? or are you just getting an uncompressed version of the same 7-8 stops of latitude that you get with the file off the cf card?

hmmm. sounds very cool, but whats the point of recording uncompressed 8 bit (whereas BMCC et al give you 12 bit)? Are you getting a feed right off the sensor? Will you get more dynamic range? or are you just getting an uncompressed version of the same 7-8 stops of latitude that you get with the file off the cf card?

My guess is it will be the same data you would get from the files on the CF card but cleaner as it would skip the H.264 compression. I don't think most people shooting video with a 5D would go to the extra expense and hassle of dealing with uncompressed files, but I could see it being worth it if you were spending a lot of money on other parts of a job.

Guest Sao_Bento

Sounds right to me. Obviously, no one bought a 5D MkIII with shooting uncompressed video in mind. If that's your goal from the start, there would obviously be other choices. People buy cameras like the 5D MkIII because they want to be able to shoot stills in addition to video. Having the uncompressed option would come in handy if you ever need to shoot greenscreen. You can rent an uncompressed recorder for 3 days for $130.

My guess is it will be the same data you would get from the files on the CF card but cleaner as it would skip the H.264 compression. I don't think most people shooting video with a 5D would go to the extra expense and hassle of dealing with uncompressed files, but I could see it being worth it if you were spending a lot of money on other parts of a job.

^ Yeah, I've been thinking about upgrading to 5d3 from my 7d, and you're spot on its because its such a nice stills/timelapse camera in addition to video being great (with sharpening in post)

There are definitely better video/film cameras out there for similar price now and have been for a while (fs100, now BMCC etc). But they're more fiddly anyway and I'm just used to DSLRs and all the accessories that come along with them now if I ever need to shoot stuff..

Still the only real main reason to upgrade is full frame, a very different pronounced bokeh affect, and obviously getting the full FOV out of EF lenses like my 24-105 on the wide end...

In many ways its not groundbreaking, but would have to wait 2-3 years for the next gen of these cameras... (at least fullframe ones, and I doubt they will give the 700d, 70d, 7d2 better specs than 5d3/6d anyway it would screw everything)

With the external recording, I suppose one benefit would be broadcast certification? 4:2:2 colour, high bitrate etc..?

Or is the 4:2:0 90mps All-I frame h264 already fine for broadcast too? I mean with major networks like BBC etc..

Guest Sao_Bento

They've been shooting scenes in "House" with the 5D mkII for quite awhile now, so I think you're fine unless you intend to submit raw video files directly from the camera to the BBC.

They've been shooting scenes in "House" with the 5D mkII for quite awhile now, so I think you're fine unless you intend to submit raw video files directly from the camera to the BBC.

Maybe, but just watching a PhilipBloom review video of the FS700 he mentioned 40mbps 4:2:2 (that's the stat I was looking for and had heard mentioned before).Which means with both the 5d3 and D800 you would need to use the external recorder (D800 is only like 24mbps, 5d3 is up to 90 but still 4:2:0). Maybe not for ads but for channel content/shows?

Maybe, but just watching a PhilipBloom review video of the FS700 he mentioned 40mbps 4:2:2 (that's the stat I was looking for and had heard mentioned before).Which means with both the 5d3 and D800 you would need to use the external recorder (D800 is only like 24mbps, 5d3 is up to 90 but still 4:2:0). Maybe not for ads but for channel content/shows?

For channel content and shows you should be fine with DSLR video. If mega-money earners like "House" are OK with a 5D Mark II, I can't see many other people having a problem with it.The biggest problem I see with the 5Ds video is it's "baked" into it's final form before you can get it off the camera. Even with HDMI out it's still been processed before it can be recorded. That makes it problematic for ads and features where the image needs to be pushed and pulled around without turning to poo.

For channel content and shows you should be fine with DSLR video. If mega-money earners like "House" are OK with a 5D Mark II, I can't see many other people having a problem with it.The biggest problem I see with the 5Ds video is it's "baked" into it's final form before you can get it off the camera. Even with HDMI out it's still been processed before it can be recorded. That makes it problematic for ads and features where the image needs to be pushed and pulled around without turning to poo.

The Technicolor log curve for the DSLR's isn't bad. It's similar to LogC on an Alexa or Panalog on a Genesis or S-log on the Sony cams. So the full latitude of the sensor is compressed into the video space with a log bump so that the part we care about is in higher bit depths. The problem previously is that the H264 is 8 bit AND heavily compressed so as you stretch and pull it, so you are breaking down what very little you started with as far as clean data. So if there's an uncompressed higher bit depth way to capture it, then you're not doing too bad. Sure it's been "processed" through the cam, but if you're only remapping the sensor through a log curve onto the video stream in video space, that's pretty standard way of working with a lot of cams. That's how signals from a Telecine got to the DavInci for coloring. A white balanced 12 bit video stream in log space from the film neg.That being said, I'm still not crazy about the look of DSLR itself. It still looks like a consumer camera to me except with more latitude and copious amounts of narrow DOF available. "Look wise" , I think the BM camera, the C300/C500, The Alexa, and Sony F-65 are the nicest looking images for sure. Meaning they look simply "Pretty" to look at (at various levels of quality respectively). Where as TO ME, the other cameras out there look like various forms of very digital looking despite if they capture Raw, Log space, or what-have-you.I'm still a massive proponent of a camera's natural "look" over all the technical arguments. But I appear to be a minority as people only argue about resolution and other specs rather than what their eyeballs tell them :(

Thanks for shedding some light on that. Glad to hear the in-camera processing isn't setting the video in stone as much as I was thinking.

What's the major factor of a digital cinema camera that gives it it's "look"? I'm guessing it's a combination of many things but is there one component that effects the look more than any other?