Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

Scaling within a mask in AE

Quick question, Ok so if I have the anchor point tool selected in AE it is possible to shift an object around within a mask without moving the mask. But is there a way to scale that image with out also scaling the mask. I have tried lots of variants of holding apple, shift etc but nothing seems to work?

Thanks,

Olly

Thanks Jay, that is what I am currently doing but unfortunately it is the ability to scale behind the mask that I am having difficulty with. I would normally just use a matte layer or something on top but unfortunately I have hundreds of masks that I need to replace the footage in and then re scale the image. I almost need to be able to animate in Indesign for this dry job.

Edited by Teddy

Oh, sorry, I guess I didn't read your post well enough.

You could use your current footage with the existing masks to matte your new footage. That would probably make the most sense.

Edited by jayfaker

You could use your current footage with the existing masks to matte your new footage. That would probably make the most sense.

Yeah, I would just use a track matte using the masked footage's alpha.

Thanks Jay and Gerkx, unfortunately as i mentioned the project already has hundreds of masked images with in it that I need to replace with different sized images and then rescale so using an alpha above won't work.

It was really just a question of wether there was an option when using the pan behind tool to also scale that image (perhaps with a keyboard short cut ) But I get the impression there is not. But thank you both for the suggestions.

There's a great script on aescripts.com called CopyMask2Layer - you could make a duplicate of your layer, delete the mask and scale it to whatever you want. Then use CopyMask2Layer to paste the old mask back on in its original location. It should maintain the animation you had on the mask as well. A bit kludgy in the sense that it's multiple steps - but it should get you where you need to go.