Sign in to follow this  
Todd Kopriva

top feature requests for After Effects in 2012

That said, expressions could be better with a few UI features -- an actual code editor with syntax highlighting, auto-completion, folding, etc, would be delightful.

Yeah, absolutely...

Mylenium

Using code is difficult in any program. Nobody is being forced to learn expressions if he doesn't want to. That is completely missing the point. AE's expressions are so terrible because all the helpful extras are missing. The classic case is when it tells you that there was an error on line XX and then you end up copy&pasting your code to a text editor with line numbers just to find it. and of course several limitations in AE and the language itself like there being no simple way to test if something really exists or what layer/ item type it is and then you always end up writing complex conditionals based on finding names of layers and property streams. I could go on and on about this. You just need to download some of my free projects to get an idea how difficult it might be to debug some of that stuff under those conditions. Also a major concern is the terrible performance because it really is just a script interpreter and AE tip-toes through every line of code one step at a time....

Mylenium

This was my beef, too. Whether it's code or node isn't so much the issue as the fact that they are so slow when even slightly complex, and the lack of persistency. A really useful engine would need a memory, and access to every single parameter it can get, down to individual mask points.

With the rise in accessibility, mainly through aescripts.com and Dan Ebberts, I would think that opening up more advanced features would actually benefit the noobs and non-coders too, because the community can do more without the bigger, slower, more expensive, proprietory developers.

How about splitting dimensions in the Camera's Point of Interest? I spent several hours refining a camera that I could have done in 15 minutes in C4D.

Couldn't you just pick whip the POI to a null and split the position of the null?

...I mean, not that it would be too hard for the AE team to put that in there, I don't think.

Edited by jayfaker

Couldn't you just pick whip the POI to a null and split the position of the null?

...I mean, not that it would be too hard for the AE team to put that in there, I don't think.

Yeah but there is no way I'm redoing the entire camera move to fix a 30 frame section. Not on that deadline.

I haven't submitted a feature request for this yet, and I know this isn't the right place to do it, but I would LOVE the ability to have multiple Project window panes like how you can have windows for all your bins in premiere. In my AE comps I make folders in my project for Assets, PreComps, RenderComps etc and would really like to pop those out into their own windows.

Would make navigating large projects much more manageable.

Another feature I use a lot but which is kinda broken: Right-click empty space in the timeline > "Reveal comp in project" -- Super useful, until your comp has too many layers to be able to right-click an empty area. Then you're just S.O.L.?

EDIT: nm, just checked it again to make sure. there's a tiny little space between the eyeball and the solo button where you can still get that option.

Edited by mgrvsh

+1 to improved project window navigation and enhancements to expressions (better editor, code completion, etc)

I'd also love to see the graph editor get its own panel, rather than just be a toggle on the timeline.. and to be able to have multiple graph editors on the screen at the same time. Throwing up a couple of graph editors up on a second display while being able to still see and select all my timeline layers on my main monitor would be a huge boon to my workflow.